Monday, March 12, 2012

SociaBulls: Walking in a Dog-Walking Group Without a Dog

As we've been having different dogs and owners showcase what they've been getting out of SociaBulls, I thought I would write a bit about what I've been getting out of the group. Since we started the group, I've never even walked a dog. I've been going as the 'dogless walker'.
Since we walk in so many densely populated urban areas, it's important to have people without dogs to watch out for other off-leash dogs who might approach the group, and to be able to stop and talk to people who might have questions about what we're doing.
While this may sound like too much responsibility, it has actually been a lot of fun. Since I don't have to focus on controlling a dog, I'm free to just walk around and have a chance to talk to everyone.
Our group has so many different types of people: chefs, PhD's, artisans, business professionals, people in the music industry, to name a few, but we're all brought together by our love of dogs and desire for responsible ownership. Since I don't have to focus on walking a dog, I have gotten a chance to talk to a lot more people.
And I get to practice taking pictures of all the gorgeous dogs. I try to get everyone, but sometimes I miss a few.
One of our dogless walkers made the realization that even though she'd been on so many walks, this was the very first time she was able to 'meet' certain dogs and owners because she had only seen them from afar.
This was actually our first week adding an additional walk. We've grown so much, we now have 2 walks a weekend in 2 separate locations. So we will need more dogless people, but we get to continue adding new members!
Check in to our Chicago SociaBulls facebook page for even more photos and updates on our walks.

7 comments:

Breakfast With the Bennetts said...

I would love to be the dogless walker but Texas is just a little too far for that. I love your blog and I think it is wonderful what you are doing for the breed and big dogs in general. Boxen and Bella say thank you!

Two Kitties One Pittie said...

Great post! I love coming dogless... it's such a great opportunity to get to know our members and their dogs without the distraction of my own pup.

ForPetsSake said...

This is a GREAT idea! You're great ambassadors for the breed and get a to meet other like-minded people in your city. Cheers to you - dogless walkers and dog walkers alike!

ForPetsSake said...

Ohh- awesome pics, too!!

Tannia G. said...

I have to share with you how after our walk on Saturday Luna was a true breed ambassador! We headed to get a car wash after the walk and while waiting there was a little girl, about 3 or 4 years old, who was with her dad. As soon as she saw Luna she came running to her, as her father yelled behind her, "you have to ask first!" She came right up to us and put her face in Luna's, they were literally nose to nose. While it startled me, Luna was totally calm and licked the little girls face. I gave Luna a down so she wouldn't get to excited and then had the little girl give her treats for doing the tricks I was asking for. This went on for a good 15 minutes and when they were about to leave. The little girl gave Luna a big hug and asked what kind of dog she was and I said she's a pit bull. Well the father was in complete shock, his face said it all and he said, to me, "Really? You always hear such terrible things about this breed but, she has to be the most well behaved dog I've ever met. Pit bull, huh?!" Well needless to say, I was probably the most proud owner in the world at that moment.

Two Pitties in the City said...

Tannia--It was so great reading this; what a great ambassador Luna is. Plus, if she can do this being so young, imagine what else she can do?! So proud of you guys!

Crystal K. said...

Thanks for sharing this. KC Pittie Pack tends to attract a lot of people who don't have dogs but wish they did. I like to farm my dogs out to these people for the duration of our outing and revel in the opportunity to be dog-less and socialize with everyone else and their pups.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...