Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Life lessons from Mr. B

This weekend, I tried to organize the little things in our house, including the stack of magazines in our front room. In the process, I got sidetracked and started going through the January 2011 Real Simple. In the issue, it had a funny and insightful article about 5 things we can learn from our pets. From this I realized that there was a lot I can learn from Mr. B about being a better life partner, such as
1. Enjoy just being together, lying out in the warm sunlight.
A and I try to maximize our weekends, by running as many errands as we can, driving all around the city and even into the suburbs. Oftentimes our weekends are busier and more stressful than the week. Just like Mr. B and Ms. M, we should spend more weekends just boarding ourselves in
and laying around in the warm sunlight.
2. Give her space. We live in such a small space with two large dogs, but the pooches don't seem to mind the tight quarters. In their 'nest', Mr. B is happy to curl himself into a little ball, while Ms. M takes up more than half the bed and all the pillows. I thought about getting a larger 'nest' for the pooches and bed for us. But, like the pooches, we are quite happy with our perfect sized bed, even though it means that oftentimes my side of the bed is now just an extension of her side of the bed.
3. Speaking of beds... Since I lived alone in the city for quite a while before we got married, I'm still getting used to the idea of cooking for two, cleaning a lot more, paying the bills and just worrying about another person. Then looking at Mr. B, I can see that none of that matters and all I have to do is just be with A, whenever she needs a head to rest her head on 
or a body to rest her buttocks on,
though sometimes she can be my pillow.
4. Groom every day. Being a bachelor for quite some time, I got used to my own stink. I was able to go days, even weeks without a shower. Now that I have two pooches that start to smell like Fritos after a couple weeks, I can truly see the importance of personal hygiene.
5. Find some ME time. Though in the movies, being inseparable appears to be the ideal relationship, much like Mr. B and Ms. M, we love hanging out, even if it means doing our own thing in the same room,
and they also remind us that we should value our own time and space.

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Mr. B is such a good teacher! I'm always amazed at how much we can learn from our pets.

Corbin said...

That Mr. B has great life lessons :-)

Kate said...

I think that's what's marriage is all about really, having someone else's head to rest your head on every once in awhile ;)

Mr. B is one smart dude.

jen said...

Great advice Mr B.
Dogs can teach us so much about life!

Alison said...

I have to show this one to the BF. I am so like Ms M and he's trying to be more like Mr B. It's a work in progress. Pitbulls are such a good example of patience, loyalty and love!

Road Dog Tales said...

Mom wishes she had more of Mr. B's personality. Um, Dad wishes she did, too :)

The Road Dogs

Wyatt said...

Good advice for 2 and 4 leggers!

Wyatt

Levi said...

What good advise from a very smart dog :)
And what GREAT pictures!

phetched said...

These pictures are so awesome. The lessons are, too!

jen said...

awesome post, great advice and super cute pictures!

Shauna (Fido and Wino) said...

Weeks?!

Very good advice :)

A Confessed Pit Bull Addict said...

What a great post! You're so right - we can learn so much if we're willing to pay attention.

Anonymous said...

so this begs the question... are these two married? courting? siblings? roommates? or does it even matter?

aleksandra
follow our foster: loveandaleash.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Awwww...I luved this postie. Mr. B is Most Wise! And YOU are Most Wise for listening to his advice. Specially the part abouts giving her a body to rest her buttocks on. Except Brudder Ranger isn't so happy when I try that on him. My dad doesn't seem to mind, though.

Wiggles & Wags,
mayzie

brooke said...

Mr B is such a wise guy!

Bobby said...

AFTER OVER 40 YEARS WITH BREN ALL I CAN SAY IS DO YOUR OWN THING. THEN WHEN YOU ARE TOGETHER ENJOY THAT TIME. I SPEND HOURS OUT WALKING THE DOGS THEN ENJOY COMING HOME, TO SPEND TIME TOGETHER. ENJOY YOUR TIME IT DOES GO BY SO QUICKLY.

Elaine Pritchard said...

What a fabulous thought-provoking post.

Lovely life lessons for us all.

Two French Bulldogs said...

What great companions you have, and the companionship they find in each other. Adorable
Benny & Lily

houndstooth said...

I agree with all of those! Mr. B just seems like the mellowest dog ever!

Sightless said...

You guys write really great posts and this is one of my favorites.

Tucker The Crestie said...

Mr. B. is very wise!

Unknown said...

This post made me giggle, I'm not that everyone can be as chill as Mr. B and let Ms. M just walk all over them. There is compromise to be found in everything.

J.Tuttle said...

Really nice post. The photos of the Mr.B and Ms.M with one of their heads on top of the others made me laugh. I read that article in Real Simple as well, and thought it had a lot of good insights.

Anonymous said...

Dogs teach us the darnedest things. ;-)

I really like this post. I especially like what you said about realising you don't need a lot of stuff, just time spent together is enough. This is very timely right now for me. I needed to hear that, so thanks.

Lovely photos, as always. I love those dogs.

Kari in Alaska said...

Now thats some great advice :)

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...