Thursday, January 27, 2011

Doggystyle: Dog-Friendly Rugs

As E mentioned in our last post, most of our decorating decisions have been based on our dogs. We work to have rugs and furniture that are dog-resistant, but still look nice. We have rugs throughout our place, but it has actually taken me a full year to find one that I liked for our bedroom. And we finally found it!
To review, the rugs that have worked for us in the past have been dark in color just to be safe:
We use this West Elm Andalusia Rug as our runner at our shoe removal station. We like the dark color and how it's reversible:
We bought Flor Tiles from CB2 that we made into a carpet under our dining table and in Mr B's tepee:
We like that you can put the tiles together to create your own patterns. We have Toy Poodle which is still soft underfoot. And if anything happens to one of the tiles, they're super easy to replace without having to get rid of your whole rug.
Then we have this practical bamboo rug in the kitchen that is really easy to wipe clean:
So after realizing what has already been successful, we went ahead and got this rug for the bedroom:
Yes, it's white and probably not that dog resistant. We actually tried a darker rug in the bedroom, but it just seemed like too much because our walls are already gray, and this will look really nice with our new headboard. We wanted something soft and carpet-like that we could all lay on,
plus, it was really inexpensive and on super-sale at CB2. We already have our feet wiping routine so I'm not too afraid of muddy paws, plus we just found an excellent rug and upholstery cleaner. I guess I have to be more like E and just go with it. What are your guesses on how this will work?

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Miss M and Mr B do a great job modeling all your rugs! I had no clue the rug under the table was made of carpet tiles. Love it!! Hope the new rug in the bedroom works out!

Zona said...

I agree - what wonderful models! My mom has always admired your decorating style so it was fun to get a rug tour! I bet the bedroom works out great. We pups are not as dirty as some think we are. BOL!

Wags,
Zona

Two French Bulldogs said...

We love your place. Please come here and help mom decorate
Benny & Lily

Road Dog Tales said...

It looks like Mr B and Ms M give it a PAWS UP! WE don't understand interior decorating the way you humans do, but MOM loves your sense of style!

The Road Dogs

Kari in Alaska said...

Those two are such great models :)

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Brenda said...

I wonder if pitties shed. All of my decorating decisions are made based on what looks good with dog hair. :)

orange sugar said...

I have two huskies that shed heavily. This limits our ability to have dark rugs, furniture and clothing. Anything dark automatically turns white very quickly.

Mel said...

That rug looks awesome. I've been eying it for some time online but didn't like the color online but it looks great in your pictures.

Anonymous said...

I think the rug is going to do great, especially if you have a good cleaner (that you hopefully won't need too often). I have to assume your bedroom is lower traffic than the rest of your living quarters, so the white is going to be more successful there, right? We have a yellow rug in our living room and while the dogs don't mess it up, it does suffer from our fireplace.
The den, where Chick eats most of his food off the floor (out of a gatorade bottle), is still rug-free because we're afraid of the slimy mess we will create when we put one down!

Aleksandra
follow our foster: loveandaleash.wordpress.com

Shauna (Fido and Wino) said...

Great photos! I really like the rug you have by your door, that is beautiful.

Maggie Mae and Max said...

After you finish at Benny and Lily's house mom wants you to come to ours and help her too! :)

Woofs and Licks,
Maggie Mae

Anonymous said...

Well, I think it's gonna work out GREAT! I mean, it's already got Miss M's paw of approval. What more do you need?

Oh, and I wanted to tell you thank you ever so much for coming to my Commentathon pawty. I've had such a super terrific time and it's all cuz of Most Wonderful furends like YOU! Brindle kisses for all!

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

Mary said...

I love all your decor and the new rug looks like it fits right in. Ms. M sure seems to approve! She's giving the camera "blue steel" in that first shot, but it looks like she has a new pose just for the new rug.

The rug we bought for our living room is pretty light in color and so far, so good. Honestly, I'm more worried about spilling red wine on it than the dogs!

jen said...

I really like the tile idea, I think I will have to give those a try one day!
I have complete faith that the rug in the bedroom will work out great:)

Anonymous said...

Your home is so well appointed! And it appears Miss M thinks the new bedroom rug will work just fine :) Mom luvs the way you've focused on neutral tones for the walls and floors and then livened it up with splashes of color, textures and shapes! Very inviting! :D

Thinkin I heard somewhere the sayin "Happy Dogs = Happy Humans" :P

Waggin at ya,
Roo

FANCY the Red Standard Poodle said...

Hi Y'all,

Catchin' up with what y'all are up to and it looks like a lot! of decoratin' that is.

My Humans have found the synthetic hardwood or laminate wood floors hold up best under my 100lbs of energetic rush to the door to announce visitors.

My Humans also replaced the wall ot wall carpet in the bedrooms with some dog friendly wood laminate with tiny rough grain in it that prevents me from slipping if I move in a hurry.

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

Kitty+Coco said...

First, we have to admit to not owning a single rug. Really. We have hardwood throughout also! Allergies, plus temptation to use the soft carpet as a pee pad has brought me to this point. Maybe now that Coco is older we can try it. Maybe.
I LOVE the bedroom carpet. Nothing is better than finding exactly what you want on super sale.

ForPetsSake said...

I say it'll work just fine - their hair is mostly white, right? LOL We have the issue of a black dog and a predominantly white dog - there's nothing that will hide hair very well with that range. Although our new brown couch cover seems to be doing fairly well so far. At least until coat-blowing season. You have great style!!

parlance said...

Your rugs look lovely and I think the newest one will be fine.

Rugs are also great for making sure the dogs can keep their footing on slippery floors.

V-MAT Home said...

Hii...nice post. Keep posting again and again..

For pet-loving homes, we have designed a special pet friendly mats that just wipe away messes, dirt, or other accidents in seconds! Get a perfect V-Mat for your home now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...