Thursday, September 29, 2011

Living European With Dogs: Long Walks and Gelato, Inspiration from Italy

When we went on a trip this summer, we realized that the best part of traveling was discovering new things we enjoy, then bringing them back to our everyday life...with our pooches.
While we were traveling in Italy, we had a daily, and nightly, ritual of going out for for a stroll, grabbing a gelato, and just sitting.
 While we didn't think the scenery could get much better, everything is twice as good with gelato:
Since walking and exploring is one of our favorite things to do with the pooches, we decided to go on some evening strolls: destination gelato. For humans and pooches alike.
Our favorite is Black Dog Gelato, part of our original dog-walking desert tour. They have all kinds of crazy flavors like Goat Cheese Caramel, Cucumber-Rose Sorbet, and White Chocolate Banana Curry. So we started incorporating an extra evening stroll topped of with some sitting and gelato.
 And if we're lucky enough to find them, Chicago actually has 2 traveling dog ice-cream options. We've tried the Aarf Scarf food cart and Fido to Go food truck. Miss M especially loves the Mac and Cheese ice-cream.
 And since getting so much ice-cream can get a bit expensive, I've also gotten an ice-cream maker, so we can make it at home ourselves. I don't really like to cook, but it is actually really easy and I spent the summer making a variety of sorbets. I've also been learning to make some unique ice-creams and I've made a modified honey-lavender ice-cream that was really good with peaches. And I just made a cardamom ice-cream which is more of a rich, fall flavor. Of course, Levi is always sneaking around the corner, probably hoping I'm going to make pupsicles like Our Waldo Bungie makes for her pooches.
I haven't quite tried it yet, but it does sound fairly easy. Though as the weather's changing, I'm wondering what types of hot foods we might be able to find on our walk.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you guys been to 90 Miles Cuban Cafe in Logan Square yet? It is my favorite restaurant EVER in Chicago (a "must visit" for every trip) and they have the yummiest hot sandwiches and empanadas - you could totally get some to go and wander over to some park in LS to eat it. Delish! And I agree with Levi - you should definitely make some pupsicles for your pups!

Unknown said...

I love seeing pictures of you and E! You guys are such a cute couple! I'm looking forward to exploringnew places with the pups once we move.

Tucker The Crestie said...

Destination Gelato ... sounds like a mission we'd enjoy embarking upon.

Unknown said...

Im bad about exploring with my duo. I seriously should take more advantage of what Austin Texas has to offer for dogs

HoundDogMom said...

We are like Hound Girl, we don't do a lot of exploring. It was always hard with 4 dogs. But we may be able to do more with just Winston and Amiee, they both could use more outside social events. Amiee does nursing home visits that we need to go back to doing, but hate the thought of Winston being home by himself, he is not a good candiate for nursing home visits. BOL Sniffs, The HoundDogs

Unknown said...

YUM YUM YUM!

Two French Bulldogs said...

Wow what beautiful pictures. And what kind of ice cream!!! We are on our way over
Benny & Lily

The Whitfields said...

Mr. B should be a dog model! Whenever I read your blog, I think how handsome he is. Miss M and the foster are precious as well, but Mr. B's looks are just too much! He's a looker!!!

houndstooth said...

I love our ice cream maker, but haven't used it nearly as much this summer as I wanted to. As far as finding hot food, this time of year seems like the time for hot chocolate and warm pastries. Surely there are some bakeries there by you!

dw said...

I think you are so right: everything goes better with gelato! Thanks for sharing such great pics and I can't wait to see what else you find locally (I am so wanting to check out the Viennese cafe on Addison and Southport that you mentioned a couple of times!).

Liz @ The Shrinking Owl said...

I make banana soft serve "ice cream" (it's basically just frozen bananas in the food processor! sometimes i add a little milk to loosen it up) and Bella goes crazy when I let her lick the bowl.

Wyatt said...

Mmmmm, we just couldn't get past the 'White Chocolate Banana Curry'
That sounds pretty darn good!

Wyatt and Mom (mostly mom)

parlance said...

Dogs, a walk and gelato at the end. What could be better?

That photo of the curving line of beach umbrellas is a winner!

Kate said...

lol at "destination gelato." Sounds like a good mission to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...