Thursday, January 26, 2012

DoggyStyle: On Sweaters and Hoodies and Snoods


Even as the temperatures dip, and Chicago winter is in full swing, we still need to walk our dogs. But like many pitbull-type short-hair dogs, our pooches absolutely hate the cold weather.
Finding ways to keep our dogs warm had become our mission--not to mention our 'gateway' into costumes. We have been getting a lot of questions about our recommendations for keeping larger 'chesty' dogs warm. Here is Part I: Sweaters, Hoodies, and Snoods. (We will cover coats and inclement weather items in an upcoming post).

Sweaters
Sweaters are good because they can transition from inside cold to outside cold without a wardrobe change. Plus sweaters are usually our go-to's during the holidays when we're trying to convince our family that our dogs will actually behave this time. We initially had a hard time finding sweaters that fit, and weren't too expensive. We do like our matching black and pink skull sweaters; these were actually our first 'dog clothes' purchase and they were a bit pricy, plus the fit is a little off.
We also ended up ordering some custom dog sweaters from friend Our Waldo Bungie whose mom knits and gives part of the proceeds to help dogs.
 We bought these sweaters which were a mere $30 each, and we like that they are customized to our dogs' size, plus we could choose the colors (though choice can be so overwhelming for me!)

Hoodies
Our dogs didn't really need hoodies, but at only $12-14 we thought they were good for a laugh. They are Zack and Zoey from Amazon, and you should always order a size bigger. Our dogs wear Large, SuperLevi was a Medium, and Big Bessie wears XL...but it's a bit big on her. Oops...I wrote that really late at night. Our dogs are XL, Bessie is XXL, and SuperLevi was Large. The tight arms and chest make them look hilarious
 Miss M was able to wear the green one for St Patrick's day. We have noticed a lot of Sociabulls members wearing them, and especially having the great idea of using them as a layering piece.

Snoods
After I had seen a couple of snoods on people around town, I thought they would be the perfect cold-weather accompaniment for our pooches. The snood can serve as a type of turtleneck, or be pulled up like a hood, which makes our pooches look like otters:
They fit perfectly in the gap between the pooches neck and coat, and I like that they can cover prongs or training collars. They also keep their ears warm without having to wear a hat. We got ours from one of our SociaBulls members who started a dog scarf Etsy shop, just as I was searching for some snoods.

These are some of the non-coat items our pooches wear on colder days. You can also see quite the array from our SociaBulls walks and a great writeup by fellow Chicagoan, and SociaBulls member, Zoe which details even more options.
What do your pooches wear when it gets cold?

21 comments:

Dain Chimera said...

I absolutely adore the look on Ms M's face when she's wearing clothes - like she doesn't want to be seen, but you know she loves the attention anyway :)

Thanks for all the great tips you guys give!

EEB said...

Thank you for posting about the snoods! :)

Kate said...

I love them in their doggie gear. I keep meaning to order some of those hoodies. Gotta get on it before it gets warm!

Rebelwerewolf said...

You've mentioned previously that Miss M has some human toddler clothes in her wardrobe. How did you know what size to get her? I can't seem to find a toddler size chart that shows girth - they all just show weight and length. I don't think my neighborhood Target would let my dog try on clothes.

Two French Bulldogs said...

We love you guys. Hoodie under your fleece helps
Benny & Lily

Luv My Rosie said...

Any suggestions for keeping the most stubborn pit warm? Rosie doesn't like any kind of clothing on her body or head. So on the super cold days we do a quick potty and in we go. She doesn't like to be confined in any way. The only thing I can get on her is a thundershirt.

Two Pitties in the City said...

Luv my Rosie: That does sound tough. I liked the idea of snoods and scarfs because they don't seem as constricting as a coat, but still offer some warmth. This post has a reader offered suggestion about how she made positive associations with her dog to get him used to wearing costumes.Perhaps this could help? Let us know if anyone else has advice, or if this does end up working out we'd love to hear about it.

Two Pitties in the City said...

@Rebelwerewolf: We usually do things like hats and tutus and fairy wings that are pretty standard. Anything without arms is good too...Mr B has a child's puffy vest he wears as a coat, for that one we need to adjust the stomach area so he won't pee on it. We also have a pitbull in our walking group, probably the same size as Mr B, that has chemical burns allover his body, so he always needs to wear shirts...I think they said a child's medium is what fits him...but I have to doublecheck on that. If I forget to get back with you, email us using the envelope sidebar, or facebook us. Hope this helps!

Luv My Rosie said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I think Ill look into a hoodie. I dont think my little Houdini would be able to get that off. Its getting it on that is the hard part. BTW, I just love this blog. Thanks for spreading the good word of our precious pts!

K-Koira said...

Zack and Zoey is the only affordable brand I have found that actually fits my girl. I have two hooded sweatshirts from them, and one of their rain coats with a removeable fleece liner, which was the first coat Koira ever had (she had a tiny little sweater before that, when she was a pup).

Wyatt said...

you 2 look wonderful in everything, but the hoodies...love that look, very urban dog!

Wyatt and Stanzie

Tucker The Crestie said...

You should really look into getting Mr. B. and Miss M. some modeling gigs. Even though Miss M. looks thoroughly disgusted, she is so freaking cute I can't stand it, and Mr. B. is enviably handsome! I never even really thought about snoods for non-sighthounds, but I can see how they'd be great for you guys up there.

brooke said...

I love them in their hoodies! I dont think Darwin could fit the biggest sweater or hoodie. I put my "home sweater" (XL mens sweater with the neck ribbing cut off from goodwill) on her the other night and it was still tight on her chest.
Dar only has a fleece lined coat.

goosie mama said...

i sweat by (SWEAR by) k9 Voyager Apparel (www.k9apparel.com). I did a post about it way back, but it still holds true. These jackets may be slightly more expensive than your average pet store finds, but I know for a fact I'll never need another coat for G!

http://prettielittlepittie.blogspot.com/2011/05/fashionista-winter-coats.html

houndstooth said...

Most of our Greyhounds wardrobe comes from Voyagers K9 Apparel. We have some light fleece for laying around in the house and quick potty breaks, and we have heavier coats for them to run around with for longer amounts of time outside. Heck, they even have rain coats!

Mary said...

Oh Miss M in that snood... I think that's about the same looks Levi would give me if I put that on him. Total stink eye.

April said...

Aw super cute! One of our pitties has enough fat to keep warm, but the other one needs shirts on cooler days.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I <3 all the gear you have gotten your pooches. Can I ask where you got the purple and white leash and matching collar?

Two Pitties in the City said...

@sweetnothings: The leash and collar set is from Sirius Republic..http://www.siriusrepublic.com/nyloncollars1.html

cyn said...

Awesome page!! your pooches are too cute!! thx for sharing.

Ashlee Rolfson said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog post on "Doggystyle on Sweaters and Hoodies," and the creative ways you've incorporated a love for dogs into fashion are both charming and innovative.
frugalishness

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...