Wednesday, August 15, 2012

City Dog: Urban Park Getaway

Have I ever mentioned how much we love living in the city? Between the community parties, pop-up carnivals, and weekly street fests it's fun to always have things going on and be surrounded by people.
But sometimes...not. Sometimes the hordes of people can be a bit much and I wish that we did have a bit more green space. Or just space.
I guess they were also feeling this way 'back in the day' when they created Chicago's Boulevard system and huge urban parks. It was the idea of creating a 'city in a garden' and creating surrounding greenery beyond the dusty, dirt roads.
We've recently had the chance to explore these gems which give us a break from city life. With plenty of green space, lagoons, weeping willows, formal flower gardens and amazing historical architecture we can find that bit of space which makes us all the more ready to return back to everyday city life.
Is this the type of break you other city dwellers take too? And if you live in a less populated area, do you feel the need for a 'city visit' every so often?

9 comments:

How Sam Sees It said...

I've never done well in huge crowds of people, so I'm not sure I could live in the city. If I did, I would definitely need the parks!

Sam

Sarah said...

I love the city! I'm pretty sure Hurley would love being a city dog, Sadie would hate it because, well, girl won't do her business on a leash if you know what I mean, and Maggie just needs enough green space to play fetch every day. I like to think we get a little of the best of both worlds here in Portland - lots more space and all the fun and culture of the city.

I admire you guys for handling 3 dogs without a yard and a lot of space so well. I know that it can be a lot of work sometimes but you make dogs in the city seem so effortless!

K-Koira said...

I don't think I have ever felt the need to visit the city really. Go to the city for certain things, visit certain stores, yes. Go just to go? Nope. And generally, I get out of the city as quick as possible when I am there...

Rebelwerewolf said...

You know how people who live in the suburbs can't decide if they want to be in the city or the country? That's also how Badger and Mushroom are.

Badger loves people and crowds, so he'd be a great city dog, but he also likes romping around outside. Mushroom, on the other hand, is neither a fan of crowds nor the great outdoors. She would prefer to stay inside as much as possible.

Tucker The Crestie said...

It's probably very much a case of you always wish for what you don't have. Having said that, I do really admire people who find ways to make sure their dogs get the exercise they need in a city setting. Definitely a challenge, which you rise to so well!

Corbin said...

Love that shot of Mr. B jumping down!
-Corbin

My Two Pitties said...

I think Norman would loooove up some city dog lifestlye...getting lots of attention from people on walks, but Kaya would go absolutely ballistic! I call her my all or nothing dog, she needs to be running free or lying around at home. Anything that involves being on a leash and having patience she goes bat-shit crazy! So they spend their days romping around like maniacs on hikes or at parks. When I am going to put this silly collection of fancy custom collars to use??

Two French Bulldogs said...

There is so much to do in your city its wonderful
Benny & Lily

2 dogs + 1 cat + 2 humans said...

That park looks fantastic! We live in the suburbs in Auckland, New Zealand, so there aren't lots of big city parks very close to us. Though, we go for walks in the forest and on wild west coast beaches which the pooches love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...