Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Staycation with Dogs: Jardin du Chicago

We've always thought the best part of travel was discovering new things from other places and finding ways to incorporate them into our every day lives so each day feels like a vacation. But a vacation that includes our dogs. We spent much of the summer recreating one of our most memorable trips, but it wasn't until the other weekend when I re-discovered one of our favorite things right here in Chicago.

Our favorite part of our last trip was spending the day in Jardin du Luxembourg. Maybe it was being among the history. Or the ornate statues and gardens. Or just the ability to stop and relax.
Little did I realize we had our own urban "formal garden" option which also happens to be dog-friendly.
Sure, our garden wasn't built for royalty but the Humboldt Park formal gardens are part of the larger European-inspired park with its circular garden, pergolas, and statues. The park is framed by two large bison statues that were originally designed for the 1893 World's Columbian Exhibition by the same sculptor who made the lions in front the Art Institute of Chicago (seen in this video here, with Boris!).
We even had a photo of Mr. B trying to 'get fresh' with the bison, here.
It is fun trying to see our city in a different way. What other types of vacation-like things do you do in your city with your pups?

Our other favorite part of the Jardin we were able to re-create and more historical urban parks.
And...Miss M stares at flowers.

7 comments:

goosie mama said...

I love the pictures! Especially the ones of your shoes - so sweet! I dare say that's a frameable shot - any of these are really :)

Rebelwerewolf said...

Your shoes look like the pair that Mushroom chewed up. =D but also =(

Tucker The Crestie said...

What a beautiful park you have to enjoy there!

I think my favorite picture is the one of your shoes!

Anonymous said...

Wow!, Humbolt Park is a beautiful park!

I am ashamed to admit that in my three visits to Paris I have never visited the Jardin du Luxembourg. Next visit, I'm making it a priority!

My Two Pitties said...

Beautiful photos! Your pups look happy to be there also:)

houndstooth said...

What a gorgeous park! We'll have to look for it the next time we're up in Chicago. I love seeing some of our favorite local places as the seasons change. There are others that we only visit during certain times of the year, too.

jet said...

That grass looks lovely to lie on, Bender would be on his back with his legs in the air!

I am kayak-training Bender at the moment so he can come for paddles down the river with us in Summer. If I am successful with him I will start with Barbie too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...