Thursday, December 19, 2013

DoggyStyle: Beauty Products I Share With My Dog

Miss M has developed a routine where each morning, after she has eaten breakfast, she peers her little round head around the bathroom door trying to figure out how humans get ready in the morning.
She was quick to go just beyond a little peek, and she now fully joins me, laying on the bathmat, as I get ready. E and I joke that maybe she is just trying to tell us she has bedhead and she wants her little bald head combed too.
Or maybe she is mocking my use of make-up : "I don't think you should bother. You are a lost cause. As said with full Miss M knowingness.
Beyond these jokes, I realized there are actually some 'beauty products' that I did buy that I do share with the pups.

Virgin Coconut Oil:
After seeing how my pinterest feed was filled with the many uses for virgin coconut oil, I wanted to try for myself, and I've actually been using it to deep-condition my hair.
It was only soon after that I realized how we can also use it for the pups. It can be eaten which is supposed to help digestion and maintain a well-conditioned coat (similar to the fish oil they use), and it can be used externally for dry skin, chapped noses, and itchy spots. The only problem is that they love the taste so much, Miss M will chase Mr. B just so she can lick it off of him.

Bag Balm:
Thanks to these types of walks, my lips have become beyond chapped in the winter. Several years ago I picked up a jar of this Vermont's Original Bag Balm from Walgreens which has become the only type of chapstick I will use. It's thick like vaseline, but it's not as sticky.
I quickly learned this is also good for the pups if they chapped paw pads. We used to use coconut oil for their feet, but they liked the taste of coconut oil so much, they kept licking it off. This has no odor, so they don't lick their feet.

Sunscreen:
I've always been aware of wearing hats and using sunscreen for myself, but it took me awhile to realize our pups can get sunburns too, especially where they have white patches, thinning fur, or even on their noses. Since they can't wear their hats in the summer, I started carrying sunscreen with me on outings to remember to apply it to our whole little family. We avoid anything with zinc (which could be toxic if ingested) and we like to use sunscreen formulated for babies.

Humidifier:
After getting some embarrassingly random bloody noses from all the dry air, we decided to get a humidifier for our bedroom. It has also helped E's sinuses and my dry throat.
We learned the humidifier also has benefits for the pups by keeping their skin moisturized which helps with itchiness.

Also:
Pinterest fails.
On Winterizing your pup
Check our Facebook page for more photos, comments, and story lines beyond the blog.

7 comments:

Regina Hart said...

Great tips for surviving the cold, dry winters! Just a word of warning regarding one product - tea tree oil. It's not safe for pups. I know you didn't mention any products containing it, but just in case other folks share their people products with their pooches, I wanted to let them know.

OG said...

LOVE the look on Mr. B's face while Miss M licks him! Priceless!
And great advice! I'm going to try the EVOO since Petey has itchie

Katie said...

I need to check out the Bag Balm for me and my dog...

As for coconut oil, I use unsweetened coconut flakes as special treats for my dog. He goes nuts for them! If your dogs like coconut oil, they might like the flakes.

Rachel said...

Her little bald head haha. and I love the look on Mr. B's face when she is licking him - priceless haha.

Two French Bulldogs said...

See you guys do have your own styling products
Lily

Pocket Pittie in the City said...

Definitely going to try Bag Balm...I've never had an issue before with my hands in LA but ever since I visited Chicago over Thanksgiving, I can't seem to get them soft again. :-/ Thanks for the great recommendations!!

steelcityfox said...

Miss Lucy loves her humidifier (we call it her 'special machine'). She was a little weirded out at first, but got used to it very fast. She will get a cough sometimes in winter, and the vet recommended we put that on at night for her. Helps us all sleep better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...