Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Schwang Manor: Our Outdoor Movie Theater

This entire summer, Mr. B just couldn't get enough of sitting out on the deck. Even when we would pack everything up and come inside, Mr. B would remain outside and it was a struggle to get him back in. Since the end of summer is nearing, and I'm remembering how miserable we were with this weather, we decided to follow Mr B's lead.
Besides sleeping, one of the only things we really needed to do inside was watch movies. We actually don't own a physical TV, but instead attach a projector to our computer to play TV and movies on the wall. The pooches are actually fascinated by the giant pictures:
Dropping by Ikea we were able to set up an outdoor movie theater. We picked up an extra-long curtain rod and a pair of thicker white curtains. The curtain rod balances on the planks of our deck ceiling.
We had to clip the curtains together to create a larger sheet--we might sew it later--and leaned the gate at the bottom to keep it from blowing in the wind.
Then we just attached the computer to the projector and put it on the back of the couch.It's nice to be able to spend so much time outside while we actually have nice weather.
We have been taking advantage of Netflix's Watch Instantly Feature, and here are some we really loved:
1) Timer: It takes place in a current time; however, science has developed a biotechnological implant to count down to the moment when you'll meet your soulmate. It questions ideas of destiny vs. choice in a romantic comedy (not sci-fi) way.
2) Zombieland: I was so surprised because I didn't think I'd like this one at all. A combination of humor and horror in an updated take on Night of the Living Dead. This movie was especially horrifying because instead of just ambling along the zombies actually sprint. Plus, there's a great cameo by Bill Murray.
3) Party Down: This hilarious series originally aired on Starz network and follows a group of wannabee actors working in catering until they get their big break. It took about 2-3 episodes to really get into it, but it turned out to be hilarious and addictive. There are 2 seasons; Jane Lynch stars in the first season. We were so disappointed the show has since been canceled.
So now that we have a great outdoor setup, we're looking for more rental recommendations. What have you seen lately that's good?

23 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I love that the pups are so into the movies too! I have no recommendations...couldn't tell you the last movie I saw!

Liz said...

I am addicted to the Netflix instant play and was just wondering what to watch next. Thanks for the recommendations! One that I watched recently and really enjoyed was 11:14.

Your outdoor theater is awesome! Do your dogs try to attack the curtains if there's a dog on the scene? Bogart usually starts barking and growling. lol.

The Daily Pip said...

How cool is that!

Your pal, Pip

Unknown said...

thats awesome! Mine will sit and watch tv sometimes on the screen and it makes me laugh and wonder if they are really looking at the screen and what they think.
Awesome set up!

Road Dog Tales said...

That's a cool idea! You guys must not have many of SC's state bird up there - mosquitos the size of Buicks! :) We love movies, too, but we pretty much have to watch what mom & dad watch since we don't have opposable thumbs to change out the DVDs. Although we can stop them if we want to with the remote :)
The Road Dogs

Kate said...

That's such a cool idea. We've thought about getting a projector too, but weren't sure about the cost to replace bulbs and thought that might add up. I'm curious if you guys have ever had to do that?

I'm behind on my TV/movie watching, but we've started watching Chuck and it's a pretty fun show.

brooke said...

Thats so cool! Love that idea!

HoundDogMom said...

That is a great way to watch movies for sure. We went to the movie theater, outragous by the way, and seen Expendables. That is a great movie. HoundDogMom

Kellee the Caffeinated said...

We loved Zombieland!!! So funny and Bill Murray was hilarious!!!!

~The Mama Monster

Kari in Alaska said...

My friend Alex did a spot as an extra in the finale of Party Down. We love the watch instantly feature on Netflix. I am a huge Dexter fan :)

Don't forget, we moved to http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Anonymous said...

Wow! You guys are GENIUSES! My mom and dad luved Zombieland, too. Mom still giggles when she thinks about that Woody Harrelson guy saying goodbye to the kid by saying, "That'll do, pig." Oops...there she goes again.

It's not on video yet but mom and a furend went to see "The Kids are Alright" and liked it a lot!

Wiggles & Wags,
mayzie

Two French Bulldogs said...

holy crap a drive in movie outside..what a good idea. Good job Mr. B. Popcorn please.
Benny & Lily

houndstooth said...

I'll have to add Timer to our queue. I've never heard of that one. We watched a BBC series called Jekyll that was interesting if you like a little horror and suspense. It wasn't too gory, that I can recall. Another one I really like is The Jane Austen Book Club.

Lola and also Franklin, too said...

Now that's original. At least I think it is, but what do I know. I'm a dog. Sounds like you share some entertainment tastes with my Daddy. He tends to just watch inside, though.

lotsa licks, Lola

Granite State Pet Sitting said...

We also watch alot of Netflix. It is so cool that you can watch instantly, not like the old days of having to go out to blockbuster to get a movie.
We have been watching the series
Rescue Me and think it is pretty good.

parlance said...

This is so good! I can visualise you all out there on the decking, relaxing together. So, one more thing we can learn from our dogs...

ForPetsSake said...

Good thinking! And we too, loved Zombieland - I saw it months ago and still get a good chuckle thinking about it :)

Wyatt said...

That is hysterical and super cool!
Love it!

Wyatt and Stanzie

Meeka said...

Movies in the balconey. Cool.
Well, I'm gonna have to say Air Bud is my fave :)
Mom says if you haven't seen Weeds, try renting it. She loved the first two seasons then it kinda went downhill a bit but still worth watching.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fabulous! Incredibly creative solution! :) :) :)

Mr. B and Miss M are the luckiest dogs :)
Roo

Mary said...

I'm so jealous that you can just "drop by" Ikea. If we ever freaking move into a house, I made Jason promise me that we would take a day trip to Chicago to go to Ikea.

Anyway, I love your outdoor movie idea. It's finally getting cool here in the evening, but we have no balcony to enjoy it:( I'll just have to crash my mom's house again to be outside.

I'm so behind on movies that I'm still on Oscar season from last year (just watched The Reader). I have to intersperse movies like Role Models in with things like Benjamin Button or else my husband might kill me.

Anonymous said...

I love that idea! And it's so cute that the dogs are so intrigued by the movies.

I hope we can set up something similar on our deck. The main issue for us is mosquitoes. We've lived in several places in the South and they are worse in Atlanta than I've seen anywhere else. Makes it practically impossible to sit outside in warm weather which is a huge pain.

Anonymous said...

this is more evidence of what twins our family and yours are. we also don't own a tv, and we also project movies outside (only in our case, it's onto the side of our shed/barn rather than a sheet). we have also recently set up a "theater" in our unfinished basement, including a homemade screen, a suspended shelf for the projector (from the ceiling beams), a cheap shag rug, and a craigslist sofa. hooray!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...