Monday, December 13, 2010

Chicagoing: Romantic Winter Southport Dog Walks

Miss M has lived in 3 different neighborhoods since I adopted her. Though she only lived with with me in my apartment on Southport , near Wrigleyville, for about a month, we took so many walks during that time that Miss M still remembers the neighborhood. It's too far from our current neighborhood to walk to, but sometimes if I have errands there I take Miss M along. Since I needed to take some shoes to the cobbler, and I knew we'd be snowed-in for the next few days, I took Miss M with me back to her old hood.
The one thing she automatically remembered was how many stores leave dog treats outside and she immediately turned into trick mode. Unfortunately, with the colder weather, there weren't any treats so she just had to eat what I brought.
With the colder weather, we basically just walked up and back the strip. When it's warmer out we love sitting outside at Coobah, a Latin-fusion restaurant. They have an amazing brunch, I especially like their Coobah Cakes: Blue corn buttermilk pancakes with Mexican canela-cinnamon butter and dark ancho rum maple syrup. All for under $9!
Then it's fun to sit outside at Julius Meinl. A unique Viennese coffee shop complete with pastries, an occasional orchestra and a feeling of Europe in the States. This is one of their first US locations.
While there isn't much to do there with the pooches, while we were on our walk I noticed what an amazing, cozy winter destination it really is. The restaurants are all decked out:
But are even more cozy inside. I like Cullen's , a cozy dark-wood Irish restaurant with amazing pot pies and mac and cheese and loads of winter decor.
And one of the best BYOB restaurants in the city, Tango Sur an Argentinian Steakhouse, is also on Southport. It's candlelit with huge portions and a meat-lover's paradise.
And it's fun to follow up dinner with a trip to the Music Box Theater, one of Chicago's last independently run movie theaters. They show a lot of independent and foreign films with the occasional Sound of Music Singalong or Rocky Horror Picture Show. Plus they often have a live piano player before each screening.
It was fun being back in our old hood and remembering how many cozy options we have to help us ride out the winter. Though with the cold weather options are a bit limited with the dogs; I miss our neighborhood walking routine, but even they don't enjoy being outside in this weather. Is anyone else venturing outside, or is hibernation the preferred method?

22 comments:

Unknown said...

We are hibernating as much as we can!

I love seeing all the different sides of Chicago. For us, Chicago is always a downtown trip so we never truly get to see the areas where people live. I'm envious of all that you have! :)

Backcountry Brodie said...

We keep up our weekly hikes through the winter. We have only missed one weekend in the past 2 years and that was because mom's back was out. We can go to southern New Jersey where there is usually less snow than in the mountains to the north.

Corbin said...

Chicago looks like such a fun place to live!
-Corbin

Meg said...

Hi - I've never posted on your blog before but I've been reading it for a while now - we have one pit, DeeDee and live in an apartment in Tacoma Washington. I have to say, in the winter, she seems to build on her amazing sleeping skills! Just a few minutes ago I literally had to push her out the door to go for a potty break before my husband and I go to work! She's a fair weather pooch, I think. We tend to look forward to evenings when it's nice here (not flood conditions), because she'll show a little more enthusiasm for the walk but more often than not, she wants to stay around our neighborhood during the winter!

gamebred said...

i think its a pit bull prerequisite to be a cold weather wussy! the puppy isnt so much yet but the 5 yr old HATES the cold rainy weather in seattle. i have to push her out the door as well for regular potty breaks. even walking our normal loop is a chore for her. and its time to start training for my half marathon so pocket will be in for a rude awakening running in the cold now.

but i try and keep them out and going outside, otherwise i think the puppy especially gets a little bored with hibenating.

Anonymous said...

You are so good at keeping up the outings despite the bad weather! Amazingly, I have had those pancakes before when visiting a friend who used to live in that neighborhood, and still dream of them. Next time you have them please think of us down here in DC!

Aleksandra
follow our foster: loveandaleash.wordpress.com

jen said...

What a great little hood!

We are not hibernating, the dogs will not allow me too:)

Daisy Dog said...

Well, not to rub it in, but it was over 80 here yesterday....

Anonymous said...

My husband will be going to Chicago in the New Year for work. He was actually supposed to go last week but it was cancelled. You have made the city look so beautiful that I am kind of jealous I can't go along.

Maybe one day!

Kari in Alaska said...

Baltimore has snow this week. LA was in the 80s last week. I am not stoked about the cold weather at all!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Bobby said...

What a great place, there must be lovely smells in that road for dogs, and humans.

Shauna (Fido and Wino) said...

I love walking around Christmas-y neighbourhoods- totally gets me into the Christmas spirit!

Mary said...

I admit I didn't walk the dogs this morning-the wind chill was -10! But, I think they were happy to just go into the yard. We did take the dogs over to our new park yesterday in spite of the cold and snow and they went crazy! Neptune is much more cold- and rain-tolerant than Levi, that's for sure!

I really like my new neighborhood, but I REALLY miss my old one. I think I need to experience the new one more with better weather when there is more to do and people are out and about.

houndstooth said...

We're mostly hibernating, unless we can go to a place where the dogs can come inside, although we're planning on taking a drive through the Festival of Lights soon!

The Daily Pip said...

Hey - thanks for mentioning the Music Box Theater. Did you know my papa is the curator/programmer there? Let me know when you go there and will let you in free.

Your pal, Pip

P.S: Mama lived in the southport area back in the mid 90's - it was totally different back then.

kissa-bull said...

they leave tweat fow woggies?!?!?!?
i must tell ouw mommish we must move!!!! we hopes we have enuff insulations fow the shiverwy weathers
what do you fink?

pibble sugars and wee wiggles
the pittie pack

ForPetsSake said...

Thanks for sharing some of these highlights! I really love when you guys do this around Chicago. I love to travel and discovering new places is one of my favorite things to do. We'd love to get out to Chicago at some point, and getting insider tips is awesome! That brunch sounds heavenly ;)

Those Elgin Pugs said...

Cute posty!!

We have the best neighbors and when we go on walks they come outside to give the puggies treats.. not always of course some of these neighbors are home. IzZY and Anakin are so smart.. they run up to the porch steps of the neighbors houses that they know give the treats out!! It's so cute.
If those neighbors aren't home, Anakin will lay down in protest and refuse to walk until they come home!
Needless to say.. on walks they get overfeed sometimes which cancels out the point of the walk.. well, just for IzZY. They vet is contently telling me my girl is overweight.
I am going to post photos of them in their jackets 'prolly on wednesday :)

We usually go to friends and watch movies or go out to the movies or plays..
We also go to museums. I do want to see blueman again have you guys been?
And wicked is back.. never been to that...

Stay warm!!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog!!!! And of course the pitties!!!

A Confessed Pit Bull Addict said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! I lived just off of Southport and Addison the first time I moved to Chicago (12 years ago this month!). Not nearly as gentrified as it is now - my friends used to tell me I should take a cab the four blocks home to my apartment if it was already dark out (which includes 4 PM in the winter). We haven't been able to venture as much as we;d like with T2 (Toni gets nervous and Téa gets amped up), but when we do try again it's definitely going to at least be above the freezing mark!

dw said...

I haven't lived in my neighborhood very long and am still trying to explore it when time and temp permit. Following your blog, especially today's, I've found some great places to try! That coffee shop looks wonderful and it's really only about 4-5 blocks away!! Thanks for some great ideas and a wonderful look at our city!

Kate said...

That's funny. No matter how long it's been, they always remember where the food should be! Those place all look great, seems like a nice area of Chicago. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...