Friday, March 9, 2012

Foster Dogs: Sweet Bessie-Belle Goes Home

Out of all of the dogs we've fostered, Sweet Bessie-Belle was the one we could have seen adopting ourselves. She fit in so well with our dogs and lifestyle, and her sweet nature made our own pooches look like the two wild characters from a Disney Movie.
But, we've realized we just don't have the resources to support a third dog, so we were fine enjoying Bessie-Belle as our foster pooch until the right family came along. We knew it would be hard to give her up. And we knew we would be really sad.
But then a funny thing happened.
Per happenstance, and charm, Bessie met the family she was meant to be with.
And we weren't sad.
We weren't sad because we realized that's where she fit in and it was where she was supposed to be.
She is no longer 3rd dog under bossy Miss M's reign. Now Elderbull Bessie is a confident little sister helping out her shy older sister Roxy....and 3 cats!
Bessie-Belle knew she was home the first time she was there, and on her second visit, as she walked down the block she knew exactly which house to walk into.
Here is the story of how Bessie was reunited with her family:
As a single person with a lot of pets, I had contemplated adopting another dog to keep my 10-year old heeler mix, Roxy, company.  Contemplated is about as far as I got: Am I slowly on my way to hoarding? What will people think? I was more concerned about finding the right dog for Roxy, who is shy and quirky and has been that way since I got her from a shelter about 5 years ago. 
So I decided to bide my time and see if the right dog would find us. And along came Bessie Belle.
Roxy and I were shopping for her food at Ruff Haus when New Leash on Life was holding an adoption day.  Bessie was one of the dogs featured and she greeted everyone in the store, showering each person with kisses and a smile. She wasn't really my "type" of dog.  She was a pretty big girl, a mix of bulldog and boxer and not the coloring I usually go for. But  I was smitten. I thought about her for the rest of the weekend, how her gentle nature might be good for Roxy. I read more about her on the Pities in the City blog and could not think of a reason not to jump at the opportunity.
I have not regretted a moment since that decision.  Bessie's integration has been almost seamless:  she is curious about everything, but not overbearing. She was not fazed by my cats' initial hissing.  We've been jogging (sorta) in the park and I swear she is smiling.  Roxy has gained some courage, following her younger sister into the crowd of dogs gathered for play every morning.
And she's not just good for Roxy; she is good for me.  At 80-plus pounds, she is one powerful cuddler.   
For many years now I have made an effort to adopt older animals. I have always felt fortunate to know them, love them and I marvel at how they still have the capacity to form attachments after a rough start in life.  And I've learned an important lesson from Bessie:  the best companions can come in unexpected packages. 
We've been so happy to hear how well Bessie has been doing. Her mom has even started her on aqua therapy to help some of the stress on her joints. (I think we all have the same imaginary image of her in goggles, a flowered bathing cap and full-piece swimsuit as Bessie goes to 'swimming lessons').
And we are so thankful to New Leash on Life, the same group who took a chance on mangy Miss M, for recognizing the value of the older, seemingly broken, underdogs for helping Bessie to her happy ending.

42 comments:

Of Pit Bulls and Patience said...

What a great ending to Bessie's journey! It sounds like she's the last piece of the puzzle for that family and right where she belongs. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS BESSIE BELLE!

It sounds like she found the perfect home! And I totally want to see photos of Bessie in a flowered swim cap and goggles ASAP!

What a happy start to my Friday!

bigalrlz said...

I wondered how Bessie was doing since she hadn't been mentioned in posts recently. I'm SO happy for her! I recently placed a long term foster with the perfect family as well, it's amazing the feeling when the magic works. YAY Bessie!

Kristina Zambrano said...

I am so happy she found a lovely home of her own ... oh my dog Bessie cutie congrats on your new home ...

Claudia said...

This is so sweet and wonderful! I hope Bessie and her new person come on a walk soon so we can see her in her new life. Best to them!

Life_With_Alfred said...

We're so happy for Miss Bessie Belle! Congratulations on finding the perfect home :)

Beth said...

Happy tears!

www.truthaboutpitbulls.blogspot.com

HoundDogMom said...

Awesome. Congratulations to Bessie-Belle. Sniffs, The HoundDogs

Kelsey said...

So happy to know that Bessie Belle found the perfect forever home! I can't wait to see who the next foster is, too!

The Heartbeats said...

For the record, I would've take Bessie in a skinny minute! But SC is a long way! She is a doll and it comes through in her pics. Congrats to her & her new family!

Mamma Heartbeat

lperry12 said...

Made me want to cry - such a sweet story. Congrats Miss Bessie!

Anonymous said...

Yes! Another wonderfully happy ending! Wait to you see our post - it goes lives at 10am! Lots of things to celebrate!

Millie and Walter said...

Congratulations to Miss Bessie Belle and her new mom and siblings. It looks like a match made in heaven.

Cindy

Lindsay said...

Aww how wonderful! Congratulations to Bessie Belle and her new family!! This just made my Friday morning :) And I love what Bessie's mom said about adopting the older and upadoptable pets. We feel that way too. Granted Dean is only two and 1/2 years old but greyhounds with anxiety issues aren't the most adoptable of pups.

And if there are ANY pictures of Bessie with goggles please do post them!

Two Grad Students and a Pittie said...

What a perfect home! So happy for Bessie-Belle!

Yvette said...

Yay! And I am the rescuer of the white/orange cat in the picture so I am so excited he has a new dog sister!

Rachel said...

What wonderful news!! Such a beautiful story and as much as I have enjoyed reading about Bessies adventures I am so happy she has found her forever family. Way to go A and E for fostering her and helping her find her way. What a great ending for miss Bessie belle! :-)))

Christine said...

So happy for sweet Bessie! We too adopted a calm, gentle 2nd dog to join our shy, neurotic 1st dog, and have seen the 2nd one be a wonderful, calming influence on the 1st. Sounds like the same is happening with Bessie and her new sis, which is so great! Wishing them all many years of happiness together.

Jacquelin Cangro said...

What great news! Welcome to your forever home Bessie!

H Ski said...

What wonderful news. I am so happy to hear she found such a great home with so much love.

Daisy Dog said...

Happy tears of course. Love the picture of Bessie and the kitties. Maybe she will join you r walking group and you will be able to stay in touch.

Heather said...

what a beautiful beginning for the sweet ol' lady :)

Patty said...

Wonderful update! Glad to hear Bessie found her forever home.

goosie mama said...

This made my day! Beautiful story and lovely, inspiring story. Congrats to Miss Bessie Belle and her new family :)

brooke said...

Awww Congratulations Bessie!!! Sounds like you found the PERFECT forever home!

Jen said...

Congratulations to Bessie Belle! Every dog deserves her home.

Unknown said...

Ahhh sweet Mrs. B! I was secretly hoping you guys were going to keep her :) but her new home truly seems perfect!

Tucker The Crestie said...

What a beautiful happy "beginning" to the rest of Bessie's life. After a long, hard journey, she has finally come home. Thanks to you, A & E (and Miss M. & Mr. B. of course) for being there for her and helping her along her way.

Kirsten (peacefuldog) said...

Isn't it wonderful when that happens? Certainly does make fostering--or letting go of a foster--easier when the right adopter surfaces! Congratulations to Bessie-Belle and her great family.

Anonymous said...

Congrats -- sounds like another fantastic match. You guys are magic!

2 Punk Dogs said...

Congratulations on finding Bessie-Belle a wonderful forever home! She looks so amazing in the picture with the purple collar, much happier than when Miss M was squishing her in the crate.(What type of camera are you using for these great pics?)We're so happy for her!

I definitely agree with adopting older pets, 2 of our cats were 6 when we adopted them & were "hard to place" since they had to be kept together. They are healthy & playful 6 years later & still run to greet all visitors! (even the dogs)Congrats again!

hermyrsaf said...

Kudos to Bessie's adopter for seeking out older pets - they are so overlooked. My 'personal' dog is mostly American Bulldog, about 75 pounds and has the same laid-back temperament as Bessie. Luna has been wonderful with the senior dogs I foster, esp my first, an insecure Aussie mix. And as another single person with 5 dogs and 3 cats, I had to chuckle at the hoarder reference! 4 of the dogs are Old Dog Haven permanent fosters; they are 9, 12, 14 and 15. I applaud the rescue for taking an older dog, too few are willing to take that chance.

www.olddoghaven.org

Jaime said...

So great! Sounds like she fits right in. Our little Lexie girl got adopted today too!

Two French Bulldogs said...

So Happee to hear Bessie Belle found the right forever family
Benny & Lily

Anonymous said...

Yay! What a beautiful "i was meant for you" story!

pibble said...

I'm so thrilled for Bessie! She deserves a wonderful home filled with love and hugs. You gave her so much love in the meantime - thank you for loving this gorgeous elderbull!

SusanA said...

This is such a sweet story. I agree that it's great someone thought carefully and chose an older dog. Congrats to the four of you for being such a good influence on her!

A Wonderful Dogs Life said...

How sad yet how sweet. We have thought about fostering, but I don't think we could say good-bye.

Congratulations to Bessie Belle for finding her perfect family. I wish all doggies had happy tales like this.

Emma

kissa-bull said...

Happy tears here in houston thank u for the smiles n for all. Do

Alison said...

Bessie will be so happy in her new home!! I know that my Sharona was a very calming influence on me and taught me how to be a good dog. Now that Sharona is gone, My mom is thinking of fostering a pit bull- maybe one that I can show the ropes to...because a shih-tzu training a pit bull would be SO much fun.
xoxo Winnie Cooper

Emily said...

I think I have been crying catching up on blogs all morning. MORE than wonderful news. Finding the perfect home for a deserving dog is wonderful. I am all for the elderbulls and always say our next pup is going to be an "old man dog."

Kate said...

omg that's so awesome! Congrats! (belatedly! ;P)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...