Monday, August 23, 2010

Pooches: "Running Like a Dog" Marathon Training

I have been running Marathons for the past 6 years. When I'm in training, this involves a lot of rigorous running, set schedules, and specialized eating programs.
A fellow runner once marveled that the secret of some professional runners is that they aren't as strict with their schedules and they just "run how they feel". So instead of following a set number of miles for training, they may decide they're feeling great and go further, or go less if they're not feeling it. This helps them enjoy running so they keep doing it for fun rather than view it as work. Since I'm embarking on my 7th Marathon this year, I have lost some of that initial spark, and I was thinking I might need to use this philosophy.
I don't personally know any professional runners, but I do know others who just run how they feel:I originally thought it would be a great idea to use Mr. B. as my marathon-training partner. Unfortunately, with the terrible heat and humidity Mr. B. has been feeling more like this:Basically, I couldn't get him to run all summer.
At the same time, with all the fostering, parental visits, trips, and classes I've been taking this summer, I haven't really been feeling like running either. Embarrassingly enough, I have only been running 1-2 times a week.* Though I still have some muscle memory, I'm not sure if this is enough to carry me through the entire marathon.
But I did decide I will take this approach and "train how I feel" and see in a few weeks whether I'm prepared to run. Ironically, the other day I struggled through 5 miles; however, on Sunday I was able to breeze through a 20 mile training run and still volunteer for an adoption event immediately afterwards. My long run was amazing, traveling along Chicago's beautiful lakefront path, and it made me remember why I enjoy running.

*Disclaimer: I wouldn't advise this type of program for new runners. Going too far too fast could lead to terrible injuries.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck with your training! I'd rather stand before a firing squad than run a marathon!!

Unknown said...

Good Luck!!! I HATE running and will only run if someone is chasing me with a knife! :)

The Daily Pip said...

Wow, that's impressive. I can't imagine running in this heat, but hopefully it will cool down so you can continue your training!

Your pal, Pip

Backcountry Brodie said...

I might hike 10-12 miles at a time but I don't run like I used to. A few years ago I was at doggie summer camp and did sheep herding. Did I run like the wind! Mom was shocked at how fast and far I ran. Pulled a muscle and that was the end of sheep herding. Is there anything like that you like to chase for motivation? Just woofing, from a dog's perspective.

Lola and also Franklin, too said...

No running for me this summer. I've only started doing back yard zoomies with Franklin on a few cooler evenings lately. No running for any of my humans, ever, except my grown up human brother. He runs every day he can, but I don't think he's ever done 20 miles. 10, maybe. Good luck with the marathon. Even Franklin couldn't do that. We Peis can run fast, given good weather conditions, but not that far. We need to stop and rest and have water a lot.

Liz said...

I envy runners like you. I can only run on a treadmill. If I run outside, I can't go very far.

That philosophy makes sense--run how you feel, instead of forcing it according to a schedule. Good luck!

Oscar the Beagle! said...

Loved thew tired worn out shot at the end! Visit our blog we have an award for you!

Stop Making Excuses said...

Pit Bulls have absolutely no purpose in this world, and especially not in crowded cities.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Mr. B, we are tired just thinking about all that running. Mom walked the LA marathon one time. But run? Good for your mom that is a big accomplisent
Stay cool
Benny & Lily

Kate said...

Mr. B can get some air! Good luck with your training. I'm always so impressed with people who run marathons the way you do!

Nubbin' Tails said...

Mom knows all about that. Mom and FAJ are doing a half marathon in Oregon over Labor Day weekend. Mom planned to run 4.75 yesterday but was feeling good and ended up doing almost 6. They have 9 scheduled for Thursday afternoon. Last long run before the "race". Mom is VERY impressed you can do 26.2. Her back just won't hold up. I won't run with her either. Now that FAJ has Ruger he's a bit like a carrot and stick for me so we might start running more.

Do great on your runs!

Wags!

Mr. Nubbin'

Bonnie said...

Stop Making excuses -- maybe you should stop making excuses, You screwed up your own dog and you want to blame it on the breed?

Thor and Jack said...

Good luck with your training!

dw said...

It's no wonder that Mr. B didn't want to run this summer - it's been quite warm and dozing is something that I'm sure he enjoys more in the temps we've had. I haven't run in a long time, and had never done long distances, just a few miles for fun and exercise, though I'd like to get back into some running, mostly to tone up some. Good luck on your training!

Kari in Alaska said...

i keep trying to run and I keep failing

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100823/ap_on_bi_ge/us_taj_mahal_schools_8

Shauna (Fido and Wino) said...

Holy crap that is INSANE. If I did that I could curl up and die. After a very dramatic collapse... ;)

houndstooth said...

Twenty miles?! I bow to you! You're made of sterner stuff than I am! I wish you much good luck in the marathon and training!

Anonymous said...

If you can convince a squirrel to run in front of us, I will at least attempt to keep up in sprints ;)

Long distance, I'll be requesting a ruck cart :) Hey now, that's a thought. You could pull the ruck cart with Mr. B and Miss M and of course yours truly :)

We would gladly cheer you on and bark encouraging statements when you look like you can't make it any further :)

Always the helpful,
Roo

Anonymous said...

PeeS: ruck rack = rickshaw in redneck Mom speak.

Thinkin some days I really worry about her,
Roo

How Sam Sees It said...

Wow! Your amazing! I'd like to start running in marathons (little ones...) but those first few steps are daunting!

Sam

A Confessed Pit Bull Addict said...

It was great to see you on Sunday! I would never have guessed you had 20 miles under your belt already that day!

Rescued Pittie Family said...

Ha ha! I would be with Mr. B - flat out on the floor!
I am sooo not a runner.
I wish I was though; I would love to get Greighson out to run.
But his momma has no grace and can barely walk without twisting her bad ankle so he's stuck to stolling along with me.

Mary said...

Wow, you sound like you're doing well if you can breeze through 20 miles. I've really been slacking on the running this summer, partly due to the fact that it's been one of the hottest summers on record. Nothing like getting up at 6 to run in 80+ temperatures and 80% humidity.

Good luck to you! One of my friends is running the marathon too so I know it's only forty-something days away...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...