Friday, February 4, 2011

Pooches: Shy's Cataract Surgery & Pet Rescue Advice

This is Shy. Shy of the crazy bat-wing ears, dainty paws, and sweet disposition. We first wrote about her here.While Shy experienced severe neglect, and a painful illness, she has remained loving and trusting of people throughout her whole ordeal. You can tell how sweet and well-mannered she is in this video:

Shy is still living at the animal hospital, and looking for her foster or forever home. While she has been doing well, one of the lasting effects from her neglect is that she has developed cataracts and is rapidly losing vision. Fortunately, there is a specialized surgery that can help her regain full sight in her eye. While Shy is getting a discounted rate, the surgery is still quite expensive.
We know so many of you are dog-lovers, so we were hoping people could help spread the word and/or contribute to Shy's fundraising page found here.
Maybe you are greatful someone took a chance on your dog and you want to pay it forward? Or maybe you made a New Year's resolution to donate money or help dogs in need? Here's your chance.
1) Shy's ChipIn fundraising page to donate for her cataract surgery is here. Even if you can only give a few dollars that would help.
2) You can also join Shy's Facebook page here.
3) Please spread the word about Shy. We created a button link on the side of our page that you can copy to spread the word.

Update: Heather, a third-year veterinary student at the University of Illinois, is the contact trying to find Shy a home. She writes a blog about veterinary school here. If you haven’t stopped by, here is what Heather has to say in her own words:
Here I am, sitting in Radiology lab/class. In between classes just now, I checked the blogs that I love reading daily and A posted about Shy again and created a button on their blog that directly links to Shy's ChipIn page for her cataract surgery. Before I knew it, I had 7 donations totalling just about a hundred dollars - from my mom, and 6 people that I have never met. To my mom and those 6 people - Thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I know I am sitting in class right now, but I can't stop my eyes from welling up with tears, I'm actually on the verge of sobbing. I can't even fathom the generosity of people - strangers - that I don't know, but share our same love for animals and are willing to share their hard earned dollars with Shy - to help a dog that they have never met, except through pictures and videos.
Shoot, my nose is running now... this could get embarassing as I sit here sniffling...
I never realized what an awesome community that bloggers form - we all have our own lives, but it is so amazing to see into the lives of other people and for those same people to give their time and money for such a great lady - sweet sweet Shy shy :)

 We would also love to hear any of your suggestions or recommendations to spread the word and/or raise funds. We were thinking of having an online raffle. Has anyone done this?

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Shy!

Thanks for spreading the word, guys.

Christine said...

How could I not donate!? Shy is so beautiful and she deserves a forever family that will love her as much as she loves them. Good luck Shy!

HoundDogMom said...

She is a sweetie, and we will head over that way to donate some kibble green bucks. We did an online auction for Blueberry from Tales and Tails. It was a huge success, but I know the person that organized it got a lot of mean emails that people thought it was a hoaxed. Which we know it wasn't because we got our goodies we won. :) We had great fun doing it and outbidding people we raised enough money for her cancer treatment to begin. I was mortified when I found out how the organizer was treated, she actually stopped blogging. Which is sad because they did several of these and were very successful. You might want to check with Frankie Furter - Mayor of Blogville, for some suggestions. He is on top of things and spreads the word pretty quickly. I think the Chip-in is a great idea, we have had great success with that on some shelter dogs in our area.

The Whitfields said...

She looks so happy! I will definitely post on my blog to help spread the word!

Corbin said...

Such a pretty girl! We're heading over to donate a bit. I posted about her on my blog today to hopefully get some more people over to donate!
-Corbin

OG said...

Hello! I posted this to Bruised Not Broken's page on FB they are a PB rescue group in NYC. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful!!
I run a rescue group and we have been lucky to get donations of awesome leashes (made from recycled climbing rope!). The company give us seconds (color slightly off, etc) and also a few brand new ones to use as raffle items. I would be happy to send you a new one to use as a raffle item to raise money for Shy.

The Daily Pip said...

Poor Shy! We will definitely make a donation.

Your pal, Pip

Two French Bulldogs said...

What a nice post about Shy. She is a purrrtyy girl
Benny & Lily

Anonymous said...

I'm donating too! Shy is such a little darling, surely the blogosphere can pool together to get her adopted. I'm also sending her facebook page to my aunt and uncle who live in Naperville and are pit bull allies . . . maybe they have friends looking for a sweet dog?

Aleksandra
follow our foster: loveandaleash.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Also, a few ideas: I made business cards for Lollie that I always carry with me and hand out when I meet people who seem even vaguely interested in her. They include a photo of her, my contact info, and her blog URL. The blog has now gotten us four interested parties, so I can't emphasize enough how powerful a tool it can be. For raising funds, I'm not as good. Shy has a very powerful and poignant story, so I would urge your friend to emphasize that in any flyers she puts together or conversations she has with people about Shy. Americans love the redemption narrative, and a sad past can really set Shy apart from the many other perfectly adoptable dogs out there. Can somebody host a fundraising party for Shy, where there is a recommended contribution at the door? I recently went to a square / barn dance at somebody's house here in the city that was raising money for a local nonprofit farm, and they made tons of money-- and it was put together by a few dedicated individuals, nothing fancy.
Just some ideas.
Good luck again!
Aleksandra

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for talking about Shy and putting all this together to help her receive the surgery she needs and eventually find an awesome home. I am positive no one can read this without being affected. I wish Shy all the best in the world. Thanks to people like you and Heather, she just may get it.

Heather said...

I wish Shy the best of luck and will donate what I can. She looks like such a sweetheart and I hope she finds her forever home soon.

Alison said...

I donated a little. As always wish I could do more. Tweeted and FB'd as well. Shy is heartbreakingly cute, wish I was in Illinois to meet her.

houndstooth said...

We shared her story on Facebook again and the link to this blog, so hopefully more people will see and decide to help her out. We sent in a small donation, too, and wish it could be more! I hope Shy's luck turns around and she finds her forever home soon!

JD and Max at Schnauzer and Schnauzer did some amazing fundraising that helped us with Blueberry's surgery. Unfortunately, they got a lot of flack from some people about it and are no longer doing fundraisers. I have seen some raffles done really successfully, though, and if you want to do it, I say go for it! I have the e-mail address for JD and Max, though, if you'd like to contact her for some ideas. She has a heart of gold and I don't doubt that she'd share advice with you.

brooke said...

Shy looks like such a sweet heart! We're chipping in a little bit and going to spread the word!
I love what you two do for dogs!

HoundDogMom said...

See I told you, it would work. We also posted her chip in on our blog and her button with a link to your blog on her story. Great Job! HoundDogMom

Nubbin' Tails said...

What a sweet sweet face! We are heading over to her Chipin!

Wags!

Mr. Nubbin'

Tucker The Crestie said...

Shy is such a beautiful girl, and I hope she finds a wonderful home who will love her as she deserves. Meanwhile, the kids had a little toy money saved up, which they asked me to contribute to Shy's surgery. It isn't much, but they hope it will help.

Tucker's Mom

Oskar said...

We will head over to check out Shy!

Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar

G.E. said...

Just made a small donation... I wish I could contribute so much more. In reality, I would love to adopt her... she seems like such a sweet girl, but alas, I have three dogs, and hubby will strangle me if I bring home another rescue. I will definitely add a link to the "Chip in" page though, and hopefully it will help to get others to the right place to help out this cutie pie!

Two Little Cavaliers said...

Thanks for linking up. Have an awesome weekend.

Felissa, Davinia, and Indiana

Art and Sew Forth said...

What a sweetheart! My son (from Chicago but here in OH right now) popped in with a 4 legged surprise for me to see today - a pit puppy! I wish I could keep her!

Shy is such a sweetie. I hope she finds that perfect loving home.

ForPetsSake said...

What a sweet girl! Heading over now...

Road Dog Tales said...

We blogged about Shy today. Hope she gets the help she needs and the home she deserves! Thanks for what you're doing for her.

The Road Dogs

Bobby said...

WE THINK SHE LOOKS LOVELY WE HOPE EVERYTHING GOES WELL, AND SHE GETS A GREAT FAMILY.

Laura and Hans said...

I made a small donation and tomorrow when we're at a dock and I have shore power I'll mention this on my blog and facebook. It really looks like you're going to reach your goal.

Unknown said...

Nice to "meet" you, Shy! My Nugget is awaiting cataract surgery, too. He's only 2 and the vet thinks he was born with them. We are going to follow your journey and hope you will follow ours, too! It's nice to have a friend to go through rough times with. Follow us at www.thedogblog84.blogspot.com Good luck!

Kate said...

I've donated too. Lots of luck to Shy!

Road Dog Tales said...

Hey guys! We just had a crazy idea - but you might give it a try. What about contacting Raechel Ray (or her people) about Shy. Here's a link to her website. http://www.rachaelray.com/pets/index.php
Maybe you can get Shy on her pet blog or something. Kind of a long shot but she LOVES pitties.

The Road Dogs

bigalrlz said...

Just sent $5, wish I could afford more, wish I could take her as a foster. Keep up the great work, Heather, keep your chin up Shy!

Those Elgin Pugs said...

Shy is adorable~

Hard to believe she doesn't have a home yet~

I will ask around~

We will chip in too~

We will keep her in our thoughts and prayers~

Daisy Dog said...

YES a raffle!! Not sure if you followed Shelby's story, but they did one. I am sure many people would donate items. I hope Shy finds a home soon, such a sweetie.

Laura @ Caninedesign said...

donated! good luck Shy

the booker man said...

i'm obviously behind on blogging, but i just read your posts about shy. what a sweetheart!! i will definitely put her button up on booker's blog and help spread the word.

the booker man and asa's mama

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...