Monday, June 27, 2011

Chicagoing: Chicago's Annual Gay Pride Parade

The thing all of us, especially Miss M, look forward to all summer is attending Chicago's Annual Gay Pride Parade.  It's so important for us to support ideas of equality and gay rights, and it's incredible to see the entire community banding together. It becomes a mile-long party in the streets complete with people celebrating on rooftops, rainbow flags bedecking all the local businesses, thumping music, feathers, and outrageous costumes. And of course a wide range of local celebrities: from our new Mayor Rahm Emanuel (in white pants!) and Bozo the clown:
This was another opportunity for the pooches to get out in costume. Last year Mr. B came as a cowboy, but due to popular demand on our Facebook page,he came in a jaunty straw fedora and bowtie. This guy was impressed that Mr. B had such great taste in hats:
Miss M has been taken with the princess craze sweeping all the young girls, and she came as a pretty fairy princess:
We wrote before about how we prepare to take our pooches to a parade which can be loud, crowded and filled with unpredictable people. We choose a spot towards the end of the parade route which isn't too crowded and the pooches had a good time getting out and getting petted.
It's amazing how costumes can make pit bulls that much more approachable as everyone was rushing up to meet them and take photos. After posing with so many people, towards the end of the day Mr B's hat was smooshed. But, this did allow him to have a mid-event costume change ala Lady Gaga:
And even Miss M was exhausted and felt satisfied she had met her petting quota for the day:
P.S. We met some of you who knew Miss M and Mr. B through the blog. It was so great meeting you, and thanks for saying hi! Mr. B is still blushing from the compliments.

26 comments:

Maisie's Mom said...

it's so nice that you are able to bring the dogs, as I've said before street fests would not be a good environment for Maisie. also, my gays and I tend to drink a LOT at these events and it would be unfair of me to have her there while I'm intoxicated! sorry I didn't see you guys there though, looks like you had a blast!

http://maisieme.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

LOVE their costumes! Who wouldn't want to stop and pet those two...I know I would!

Kate said...

It's great to see Mr. B and Ms. M supporting equal rights! Looks like they had a blast.

How do you get Mr. B's hats to stay on so well? Do you buy special doggie fedoras for him or do you have to add a strap to it so it stays on?

Two Pitties in the City said...

Kate--So glad you asked! We got a lot of questions about the costumes, and tomorrow we're going to do a whole post about the idea of dogs wearing costumes and how to adapt costumes so they actually stay on your dog.

Kim @ Yellow Brick Home said...

Oh, the cute is killing me! They must have been quite the show-stoppers - even at a parade where there's so much else to look at!

Kari in Alaska said...

I am rather disappointed that there wasn't anything big in Vegas :(

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

In Black and White said...

That last photo of Miss M is just killing me with cute! Bilbo is doing so well these days that next year he might even be parade-ready!

http://bwpaws.blogspot.com

jen said...

Love it! That is so cool that you and the pooches go out and show your support!
We try to do the same thing when going out to crowded places with the boys. We do our best not to be in the thick of things but sometimes we have no choice!

rottrover said...

GREAT costumes - and we're not costumey dogs!! Those a re wonderful. What a fun day!

Rottie Kisses!

Unknown said...

They both look dashing in their costumes. We would love to have events like this in our area; maybe someday.

Anonymous said...

incredible. beyond words.

Anonymous said...

Well, of course Miss M makes a STUNNING princess but who could resist Mr. B looking all dapper in his hat? I'm just so glad you all had such a good time and I LUVS that precious picture of a pooped Miss M.

Yay for equality!

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

laura said...

Yes, Mr. B looks so dapper in his hat and Miss M is absolutely divine! We so wanted to get to Toronto for Gay Pride this July but it's just not going to work out.
BTW, I'm hoping my post about vacationing in the Bahamas with a dog got through to you? I wasn't sure about the email address!

Kristine said...

Love the photos! There is a fantastic pride parade in Halifax as well. We have yet to take the dog as last summer we had something else planned for the day and the summer before that Shiva was no where near ready for that kind of crowd. But this year I am determined to go with the dog. It should be a blast.

Glad you had such a great time and thanks for sharing the photos!

houndstooth said...

I have a feeling our parade attending days are over, at least while Bunny is here. She got freaked out by the fire engines squawking at the St. Patty's Day parade here and hasn't been able to enjoy them since. It bums me out, but I'd rather have her safe and happy than drag her out and have her be miserable. I always love seeing Miss M and Mr. B enjoying your parades, though! I love Miss M's costume!

houndstooth said...

I have a feeling our parade attending days are over, at least while Bunny is here. She got freaked out by the fire engines squawking at the St. Patty's Day parade here and hasn't been able to enjoy them since. It bums me out, but I'd rather have her safe and happy than drag her out and have her be miserable. I always love seeing Miss M and Mr. B enjoying your parades, though! I love Miss M's costume!

Daisy Dog said...

Such cute pics of the dogs!! What fun!

Tucker The Crestie said...

Looks like a fun time was had by all, and Miss M. and Mr. B. both looked quite smashing.

Shauna (Fido and Wino) said...

That looks like such a great time and good for you guys for supporting equality and gay rights!

Two French Bulldogs said...

Oh what a fun day!! Ms M you look so cool in your new hat. Bet there was a lot of sites to see
Benny & Lily

brooke said...

Love the costumes! Love Miss M's tiara! hehehehe

The Daily Pip said...

Love these pictures, especially that final one of Miss M. The parade is ALWAYS so much fun!

Your pal, Pip

P.S.: My parents' first date was to the Pride Parade way back 1993!

ForPetsSake said...

Awww...I love that they were part of such a festive day! Thank goodness for open-mindedness - for both people and Pitties!

tdotcopeland said...

So funny to read about Mr. B's costume change; Michael "let me know" when he was ready to take his costume off by peeing on his dress (he still pees like a "girl" because I discourage him from marking too often). I responded by disposing of the dress; I already wore it once back in 2008, and he helped me accomplish two important goals yesterday by giving me an opportunity to reuse it as a conversation starter.

Two Grad Students and a Pittie said...

Amazing! I love Ms. 's wings! They are so cute!

www.twogradstudentsanadapittie.blogspot.com

My Two Pitties said...

Awesome! We're going to SF Pride!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...