Monday, November 8, 2010

Chicagoing: Lakefront Path

 One of the best features of Chicago is our lakefront; it stretches for 20 miles traversing several neighborhoods, the downtown area, and featuring several beaches and parks. There is even a famous scene in Jennifer Aniston's movie 'The Break-Up' showing her running along this part:
While I was training for the Chicago Marathon this summer, I would run on the path a couple times a week. I've been to the northernmost starting point and run as far as the ending on the southside. I was having a bit of lake withdrawl, and I thought it would be fun to take Miss M for a stroll along the lakefront; or at least hang out on a bench.
This portion of the lake is in the Lakeview neighborhood, and I actually used to live in an apartment here a couple of years ago. The area is very lively, encompassing Boystown and including several highrise apartments to really pack in the people and energy. It's about 3-4 miles from downtown:
We saw some nice foliage:
But for the most part, most of the leaves had already fallen. The area actually has a small dog beach which is packed during the summer, but completely abandoned now:
Plus, the harbors were empty as most of the boats are now in hibernation. I do miss living near the lake, we're about 2 miles away, though I do realize how extraordinarily pit bull friendly our current neighborhood is. Our pooches get bombarded by people, while in this neighborhood we were walking the pooches down the street in costume and people didn't even crack a smile. But, at least living a bit further from the lake we won't be getting the lake-effect snow this winter.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Miss M looks like she really wanted to go to the beach! I can't believe people didn't want to stop and talk to the pups in their costumes! They're crazy!

jen said...

The pictures are beautiful.
I sometimes wish we lived closer to the lake too, especially for the snow part:)

Anonymous said...

My mom hopes one of these days she gets to see your lake. It looks SOOOO pretty! So you don't gets those lake-effect snows living 2 miles away? That's not really very far. It must be kinda like Collie-rado. We can have 2 feet of snow in our neighborhood and there might be hardly any on the other end of town. Geography's funny!

Wiggles & Wags,
mayzie

PeeS. Peoples who do not smile at doggies in costume are most obviously dead inside.

The Daily Pip said...

Great pictures! We live pretty close to the lake, but up at the end of the path.

Your pal, Pip

Corbin said...

We thought we'd have a few more "fall" days, but it's SNOWING here today!!! SNOW!
-Corbin

Shauna (Fido and Wino) said...

I recognize that stretch from that Anistan movie!

Stephanie said...

Those are great photos! Chicago seems like such a fun city (at least the way you show it! :))

-Boots' Mom
http://myfavoriteboots.blogspot.com

brooke said...

Such beautiful fall photos!

Backcountry Brodie said...

Those people who don't smile at dogs, especially in costume, must be aliens.

The Whitfields said...

You all have such a pretty area to run with the city in view!

Anonymous said...

I remember the Chicago lakefront from E.R.! I used to comment all the time how if I lived there I would totally take up jogging.

It was probably a lie.

The city did a beautiful job, though. Thanks for sharing your photos!

Tucker The Crestie said...

Beautiful photos - and by the way, anyone who would not even crack a smile seeing two such adorable dogs (in costume no less) is not anyone I would be worrying about. There's obviously something VERY wrong with them!

Tucker's Mom

Wyatt said...

That is a very pretty place to walk. Where are all the other doggies?

Wyatt

Kari in Alaska said...

I also visit that area when I am in Chicago

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

houndstooth said...

Yeah, you can keep that lake effect snow! Miss M looks like she was really enjoying her time by the lake!

jet said...

Oh how could you not smile at those beautiful doggies.... :P I will never understand doggie prejudices. Like how come when I walk Barbie in a crowd lots of random people pat her without even talking to her first (or me) but they take a wide berth around Bender? Bender kind of has a pittie looking head. Maybe that's what they are afraid of!

Two French Bulldogs said...

We vote you guys as official Chicago tour guides. You sure are making us want to go there
Benny & Lily

Nicole said...

I love Miss M's face as she's sitting on the bench.

Levi said...

You really have the best walks! I wish there were more cool places for me to walk!! Might have to travel to your place :)
I have given you the Doggie Bloggie Award! Come check it out if you want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...