Thursday, May 3, 2012

DoggyStyle: Posing Pooches & Pet Portraiture

Sure we take a lot of photos of our pooches, but we are always looking for something genuinely keepsake worthy. Maybe it's from watching too many Dark Shadows episodes in my youth, or the fact that one of my favorite books is The Picture of Dorian Gray, or probably because I live with a pooch who is always modeling:

that I always thought it would be fitting to have our pooches' portraits painted.
I had long cyber-stalked the Pet Shop at Yellow Brick Home  with their adorably mini-sized portraits, and we were super-excited to finally meet Kim in person. She has her own adorable pitbull Jack ,and two cats, and she really has a way of understanding and capturing each pooches' personality in paint (I was particularly floored by this recent painting of Superhero Ammo).
So we ended up ordering this special gift for ourselves: 
 






























I keep double-taking because I'm so amazed with how Kim was able to capture the expressions in their eyes. Every time I look at this painting, I'm certain Miss M is about to open her mouth and complain. 
Luckily for Mr B no actual posing was required, but Kim paints from photos. Even though it's hard to have a photo with both pooches in it, she is still able to take separate photos and paint them on one painting.
And Miss M feels worthy of real royalty.
You can see more fantastic pets captured in paint at the Pet Shop here and on the blog here.
P.S.  We've heard the Pet Shop will be going through a redesign, so if you are interested in immortalizing your pooch at the current prices it would be best to order before the end of May.

18 comments:

Rachel said...

Wowwww what a gorgeous portrait! And I agree... The recent portrait of Ammo was too cute (his cape is awesome hahah). Looks like she captured Ms M and Mr B perfectly!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I love that portrait! I've wanted to get one of Rufus for forever. This made it a done deal.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH! THAT IS AMAZING! I must, must, must order a portrait of Turk and Rufus!

Two Kitties One Pittie said...

LOVE IT! It's so perfect. Kim is incredibly talented. Seeing our portrait of Zoe always makes me smile.

P.S. I love Dorian Gray too!

Life_With_Alfred said...

JEALOUS! This is really amazing...I have been holding out, but it is getting harder and harder when I see so many terrific paintings. Miss M and Mr B are flawless!

Rebelwerewolf said...

The painting looks awesome! The expression on Miss M's face is classic. I've been thinking about ordering one too; I'm just waiting for Badger and Mushroom to get a little older and more set in their looks. (I'm also hoping for more jowls.)

h(eather) said...

I have one of each dog from Kim! I adore them, she captured each of them so well!

Anonymous said...

LOVE that!! Kim did an awesome job!

Anonymous said...

(PS Our Oscar is named after Oscar Wilde!)

Kiira said...

I've been wanting YBH portraits of Monkey and Petey for a year now, but I keep stalling when it comes to finding the perfect pictures of them. Ugh, decisions...
Kim did a beautiful job on the Miss M/Mr. B portrait. It's funny to see them so naked!

Unknown said...

I cannot believe how well she captured Mr. B and Miss M, it truly is uncanny!

brooke said...

That is an awesome painting! So perfect!

Two Pitties in the City said...

@Kiira--We actually bought the painting a super, super long time ago, but I couldn't make up my mind about the photo. Kim is actually really helpful and let me know what would and wouldn't work well.

Kimberly said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. You are right about the artist. AMAZING. :)

A Wonderful Dogs Life said...

Beautiful!

Emma

Two French Bulldogs said...

Purrrfect
Benny & Lily

Jen said...

That painting is really amazing, you made a great choice going with them!

I live with an artist but, strangely, have no portraits of Elka that are of that sort. Hmm. Mister needs to get working, or he'll be out of business!

Kitty+Coco said...

Love your painting! The graphic quality of the portrait is very nice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...