Friday, December 18, 2009

Doggystyle: Cold-weather gear

Today is the last school day before winter break. Both E and I started teaching at new high schools in the city this year, so it has been a bit more stressful than usual; this break will be a welcome reprieve. We're gearing up to do a lot more "Chicagoing" and making sure we're all adequately attired for the cold weather.
People don't believe dogs get cold, but being a short-haired breed, the cold can be brutal for the pooches. Miss M. especially hates the cold and wears her coat at all times. Much like their rain gear, the pooches also wear Ruffwear cold-weather coats. We really like these coats because they are good quality, and we know we'll have them for awhile. Plus, they are one of the only brands we've found that will fit the pooches big pittie chests.
While the pooches are decked out, I've discovered the importance of good mittens for our walks. Chicago weather can be brutal, and the absolute worst is removing my mitten to get a poo bag. Right now I have been wearing these glittens--they're mittens that fold back to expose my fingers. These are a good compromise for not removing my whole glove, though my fingers do get cold. At one point I had found gloves with textured fingertips that could remove a poo bag without removing your glove. I bought these as a gift for my then dogwalker. Now I wish I had a pair also--does anyone know where you might be able to find these?
I also found the perfect winter-weather boot: Merrell's Spire Peak Waterproof boot. These are the perfect mix of functionality, comfort, and style. They're actually classy enough to make you feel put together during this terrible winter season, but they feel like you're wearing sneakers. I was even lucky enough to have discovered them on Piperlime and I got them, essentially free, using our Citibank rewards points.
On top of that, I have JCrew's Double-cloth lady day coat with Thinsulate lining. The extra lining under the wool is perfect for the weather, and they coat is versatile enough to wear dressed up or down. When I moved to the city, nearly 10 years ago, I bought a JCrew wool coat, and it is such good quality I still have it. The best part is each year JCrew offers 30% of their coats, and you can add an additional 10% if you sign up for their credit card.

4 comments:

Kari in Alaska said...

I have to say we don't miss the cold! In Alaska, there was a lady who made fleece jackets for dogs that we loved (so did the girls who even napped while wearing them) since they were so durable and easy to clean.

Princess said...

They look awful cute in their coats! Princess on the other hand does not like clothing and will do just about anything to get it off. But when we took her on our ski trip last year she quickly learned that her fleece coat meant going outside to play in the snow so she would tolerate it.

Dexter said...

Is it true dogs get cold and need to wear coats? I am not sure. Sometimes I don't want to go outside when it is cold, but I think PeeWee is devoid of nerve endings as he will bounce about regardless of the weather.

Do you think a big guy like me ever gets cold? How would momma know?

Slobbers,
Mango

Anonymous said...

this will not surprise you at all, but i have that exact same coat. only mine is red.
ha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...