Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chicago Marathon: From a Spectator's View in 10 Pictures & 2 Videos

While A was running the Chicago Marathon, I got the pooches into their costumes, packed supplies (water, portable bowl, treats, two bones, digital camera, Flip camera, batteries, map of the course) and headed off to our first spectator spot at the corner of Superior and Wells. We signed up for runner updates, and I received a text that A passed 10K at 9:48 AM, so I expected her to pass by us around 10:45 AM. The pooches and I settled on a spot and met a bunch of spectators.
Spectators and runners alike loved the pooches. Runners would point at the pooches, scream out compliments and some even stopped to take pictures. The pooches were mini-celebrities, spectators were taking pictures of the pooches or even with the pooches. Several people were even preaching to me about the bad rap that pit bulls get. Sadly though, we waited until 11:30 AM and never saw A pass by.
It was pretty hectic trying to drink my coffee, handle two pooches, scan passing runners for A, watch Mr. B knock of my coffee, pulling Ms. M as she tries to drink my coffee off the ground, take pictures for the blog, make sure Ms. M and Mr. B does not run into runners, and move out of the way as people try to take pictures with the pooches. So we packed up our stuff and I got ready to drive to our second spot at Damen and Jackson, but as I passed over the highway and saw the bumper to bumper traffic I decided to join the traffic and go straight to our final spot at Michigan and 13th street. Luckily we found parking several blocks from our final cheering area.
Mr. B sat vigilant and scanned the runners for A.
While Ms. M could care less and hung out, met people and drank some water.
By 12:30 PM, it was really hot, but there were so many spectators out cheering on the runners.
Mr. B took some great shots of the spectators with his camera.
Eventually we saw A on the course and the pooches were ecstatic. After seeing A, we walked over to our rendezvous spot near the finish line. There were so many people trying to find runners that they closed off the finish line to spectators and we had to find another area to meet A.
So we sat out by Roosevelt and Michigan, away from the crowd and watched all the spectators cheering the runners at the last 0.2 miles.
Mr. B is keeping a watchful eye out for A, while Ms. M is busy meeting other spectators.
In the following video, it has been over an hour at our first spot and we still didn't see A. As you can see a lot of runners were walking, which made me and another spectator concerned that we missed our runners.

19 comments:

Granite State Pet Sitting said...

Sounds like the Pooches where a big hit at the Marathon! Sorry that you guys didn't see A Pass by, I am sure you guys put alot of smilies on other people faces. Sound like alot of fun!

Laura and Hans said...

It's too bad you missed seeing A during the run, but at least the pooches looked adorable, and had fun. When I was watching the 2nd video I couldn't believe how many runners were wearing what I would have thought would be horribly hot clothing for a marathon. Maybe you can write a post about what kind of clothes and shoes A wore.

Unknown said...

I think you might have had a tougher time than A! I can only imagine how popular the poochers were.

Corbin said...

Just got a chance to catch up on your last few posts! Congrats on finishing your run, A!!! That's so awesome! I love your cheering squad... Ms. M looks devine in that tutu!!! I love it!
-Corbin

The Daily Pip said...

I once followed around a friend running the marathon. It was so much fun and inspiring to watch her finish! I love these pictures of the pooches!

Your pal, Pip

Kate said...

I love Mr. B's sign :) Looks like everyone had a good time rooting for A! I'm sure the pups encouraged a lot of other runners along the way too!

Mack said...

I know everyone enjoying seeing the pooches in their costumes!

Anonymous said...

That was a really fun postie! I'm gonna have to come back and watch the movies but I luved all the pictures. I'm so glad that Miss M and Mr. B were such super fantabulous spectators and made some furends.

Wiggles & Wags,
mayzie

brooke said...

I love Mr B's hat and Miss M's tutu!
It's too bad you missed A at the first stop, but how fun to be apart of it all! I'm sure many runners were spirited by Mr B and Miss M!

houndstooth said...

I am sure that you made a lot of runners happy as you stood on the sidelines cheering. It has to be a great motivator to see so many people interested. Also, I give you kudos for going with a dog in a pink tutu! Not all guys would do that!

Road Dog Tales said...

You two would be motivation enough for anybody to reach the finish line! Adorable! Who could ask for a better cheering section? Plus, you got all that extra attention, too! And scored more goodwill points for the pitties. Excellent!
The Road Dogs

Kari in Alaska said...

the pups looked so cute!

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

AC said...

I'm amazed that Mr. B and Ms M were so calm with all the excitement! Very impressive!

I certainly would have been encouraged to see those two cheering me on during a race. I can see why they were such celebrities! Who could resist?

Very fun to read both runner and spectator perspectives.

Luci's Mama said...

congrats A! I wish I had a pooch cheer squad when I was running too :) Sure would have helped on miles 21-26!!! heheh Congrats again!

Lola and also Franklin, too said...

I'm pretty sure that Miss M and Mr B were a major inspiration to a lot of runners. I can only imagine that seeing them would perk up some hot and tired runners. They were so good, too.

lotsa licks, Lola

jen said...

Great point of view! It sounds more stressful being a spectator than a participant!
I am still amazed at how many people were there!

Levi said...

What a great day! It looks like you guys had a lot of fun and showed your support :)
Lovin the costumes!!

kissa-bull said...

i cant get enought of the pooches with their costumes i want to jump in the computer and attack them with kisses

Those Elgin Pugs said...

Oh Miss M and Mr. B!! Yous Momma happy knowing yous in 'da crowd cheering her on wits yous Dad too!!

You both are just too adorable dressed ups waiting all nice...

And yes, of course you were a hit!!
Our Momma just wants to hug yous both right now too!!

Peese tell yous Momma congrats again from us!!

We's enjoyed 'da videos too!!

Hugs!!
IzZY, Josie and Anakin Man

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...