Friday, October 8, 2010

Chicagoing: Chicago Marathon Weekend Prep

It's finally race week! This weekend I'll be running my 7th Chicago Marathon.
It's usually around this time that I start to have the nightmares. First, the one about how I missed the race--this almost happened one year when the cab I called didn't show up, and I only arrived at the race a mere 10 minutes before the start. The one where I forget something really important--which really did happen my last race when I forgot my timing chip and ran as a "ghost runner". And the one where I can't figure out where to run--this never actually happened.
The marathon will be this Sunday where they're projecting a sunny and steamy 81 degree day. This will be perfect for the 1 million spectators, but not so ideal for the 40,000 runners.
The pooches have diligently been helping me prepare. Mr. B. loaded up his backpack and we've been making daily pit stops at La Farine: the best bread bakery in all of Chicago. Friday is actually the most important time to carbo-load, but I've been eating bread throughout the day and accompanying my pasta.
Miss M is all about helping me with the additional eating and drinking. I learned not to eat many proteins for 3 days before the race; they take longer to process in your system and you don't want anything in your stomach after all that heavy pounding. I also increase my salt intake to balance all the extra water I'm drinking.
I don't do much running in the days right before the race, but I'm still stretching on the Yoga Mat so I don't get tight. Luckily Miss M is all about being my yoga brick.
 And most importantly, the pooches will be serving as my "markers" during the race. See, some spectators bring balloons or signs so they stand out among the crowd and their runner can find them. Some of the markers look similar, so it's hard to tell who you're looking for, but I know I will be able to pick my two pitties out of the crowd. Plus, it's another chance for them to wear a costume.
I actually didn't know anything about marathoning before I went to watch the marathon one year. It's amazing to see everyone, from older people, to bigger people, to a severely pregnant woman, to people in full mascot gear running the race. I figured if they could do it, I didn't have an excuse. And 7 years later, I'm still running. The best part of the Chicago Marathon route is that it really does wind its way through the entire city where the diversity and community support are amazing. From the male cheerleaders in Boystown, the mariachi bands in Pilsen, and the dancing dragons in Chinatown it's definitely enough to keep me entertained for the entire 26 miles. Anyone planning on going out to watch?

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and good luck! With cheerleaders like Ms. M and Mr. B, I know you'll do well.

Unknown said...

Good luck! How fun that Miss M and Mr B are your markers along the way! I'm sure it'll be nice to see them occasionally!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I'm sure Miss M & Mr B will stand out amongst the crow :)

AC said...

I wish I could come watch and cheer you on with Mr. B and Ms M!! We'll be cheering you on from California!

Have fun out there (and stay cool)! Can't wait to hear about it.

HoundDogMom said...

Good Luck in your race. I am sure Miss M and Mr. B will be cheering you own when they see you. The Hounddogs.

Alexis said...

I'll be watching at Diversey and Broadway! Good luck! Ms M and Mr B will be very proud I'm sure :)

The Daily Pip said...

Good luck!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!

Your pal, Pip

Shauna (Fido and Wino) said...

Good for you- have a great race!

Unknown said...

That sounds like so much fun! I love that you'll have the dynamic duo (second only to my dynamic duo, of course) to cheer you on!

Have a safe and fun run! Whoa, sorry for all the exclamation points.

Mary said...

Good luck! I told my friend who is running it to look out for Mr. B. and Ms. M. among the spectators. I'm sure they will stand out among 1 million people, right? It really sucks that the weather is going to be so hot. I almost cried when I saw it is going to be 86 both days this weekend and I'm not even running a marathon!

I hope you get to drink some delicious seasonal mojitos when you're finished and curl up with your pups on your lovely outdoor patio to celebrate your success.

Anonymous said...

The dogs look great in their costumes!

Good luck with the marathon! I've always wanted to do something like that. Maybe now is a good time to actually start?

Mel said...

Good Luck on the marathon!

A Confessed Pit Bull Addict said...

Happy running! I hope everything goes well!

Road Dog Tales said...

Wow! This sounds exciting! Cooper would definitely like to do this. Um, the rest of us could just help with the carbo-loading :)
Best of luck - can't wait to see pics of Mr B and Miss M cheering you on!
The Road Dogs

Two French Bulldogs said...

Sounds so exciting. We will be screaming for you. Bakery, did some buddy say bakery
Benny & Lily

Anonymous said...

Wow, congrats on this being your 7th marathon! I don't enjoy running at all, so can't imagine ever completing even a half marathon. I always say that the only reason I'll be running is if someone is chasing me with a weapon :)

Maybe you'll have a breeze from the lake there at least! I've always been amazed that they do the famous Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta each year in July of all months!! It's just ridiculous, as the temps are usually in the high 90s or even above 100.

Good luck and hope you have a good time! I'm sure Miss M and Mr B will do a wonderful job as markers :)

Laura and Hans said...

Good Luck!! I hope we get to see pictures of the cheering pitties!

Kirby, CGC said...

Good luck running! With the two cutest pitties in the city cheering you on you will without a doubt do fabulous!!

Kirby's Mom

pibble said...

Be safe and have fun! I'm excited for you, and I love that Mr B and Ms M get to participate. Can't wait to hear the results!

Lindsay said...

Love their costumes! They won't be hard to miss! Good luck on your race! You will do well!

Wyatt said...

Very exciting...keep us posted. Good group of cheerleaders you got there!

Wyatt and Stanzie

Lola and also Franklin, too said...

Good luck! I know you can't go wrong with the help you've got.

lotsa licks, Lola

Meeka said...

I may be far away but you will be in my thoughts. Have a great run.

Anonymous said...

Rah Rah Rah Shish Boom Bah! Roo is roooooootin for ya! :)

The sights along the route sound like too much fun :)

Enjoy your run! :)
Roo

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your marathon! I know you'll do super fantastic!

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

Granite State Pet Sitting said...

Good Luck Sunday! What wonderful Markers Miss M and Mr B will make.
Have a Great time we look forward to hearing all about it.

Two Little Cavaliers said...

Those Yoga Mat things must be comfortable every time we visit you guys are resting on them. Good luck on your run. Mommy said a marathon is really long but we are sure your personal cheerleaders will help you go the distance.

Davinia & Indiana

kissa-bull said...

what more inspiration is needed than those precious pibble faces

pibble sugars
the pittie pack

Mack said...

I bet you are doing some serious resting right now! Let us know how it went.
Sugars,
Mack

Unknown said...

This is such a great blog - my wife and I just adopted a sweet-as-pie female pit pup named Olive and all of our friends think we are crazy. Your blog makes us feel like we aren't the crazy one's after all! Please keep up the great work and know that we are reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...