Friday, September 13, 2013

Pooches: Mr B's "Cape Feare"

When most people see Mr. B, they usually just see a big-headed, huge-muscled lunk.
You would think he's fearless.
Though Mr. B doesn't see himself that way. He has a huge fear of small dogs, and he is even more afraid of...cats.
At the sight of a cat, Mr. B will squeal like a little piglet, and literally sprint away in the other direction.
Unfortunately for us, we live near a large feral cat colony. These cats survive on the "mean streets of Chicago" and they are fearless. Once, one even slowly sauntered down the sidewalk towards Mr B, and slashed him across the face "Zorro-style".
These cats hang out a mere few houses away, and Mr. B is always nervously watching for them on our daily walks.
During his photoshoot, Mr. B has the unsettling feeling he is being watched.
While we still see the Zorro-cat, there is one single cat that Mr. B is even more afraid of: the fluffy white cat.
It's almost like it is stalking Mr. B. It pops up from the most unexpected places and it watches him unwaveringly.
It keeps Mr. B on high alert. The other day he thought he saw it under a car so he dashed away. It turns out, it was only a white plastic bag floating by.
Another time I was picking up the dogs' poo during our walk, and Mr. B suddenly jumped up from his sit-stay and started squealing and bouncing. I made him stay again, so I could finish picking up, but I couldn't understand why he kept squealing. Then I saw over his shoulder, the fluffy white cat's face peeking out from behind a tree.
I used to think that maybe it reminded Mr. B of another cat in his past life. Or maybe that cat knew a dog just like Mr. B when they were back in the shelter together. But really, I think Mr. B might be startled and unnerved because the cat has an expression that looks eerily like this:
P.S. We could never get close enough for a real photo, but this is the closest Internet image I could find to what Mr. B's nemesis really looks like.

Also:
What he's really like.
Because of this, Mr. B keeps asking for his own pet cat.
Miss M's own literary tale.
Check our Facebook page for more photos, comments and storylines beyond the blog.

11 comments:

Liz @ The Shrinking Owl said...

.... and now I have "I always feel like somebody's watching me..." stuck in my head.

Luv My Rosie said...

Poor Mr. B with his feline anxiety. My Rosie is petrified of anything that "pops". If you are chewing gum, she will literally climb in my lab for protection. People claim pits are so vicious. I would love for thos naysayers to see Ms. Rosie in action when she freaks out to any popping or ticking noise.

Regina Hart said...

What an adorable post! I actually giggled out loud at the end. Poor Mr. B. I don't mean to laugh at his trauma; I'm sure those kitties are just as scary as he says. Regardless, he looks absolutely dashing in his bow tie - great portrait!

Rachel said...

hahah I love this post. Poor Mr. B. I love his collar and bowtie - even if he is nervous he looks super handsome and gentlemanly all dressed up!
Happy Friday - have a great weekend!

Sarah said...

Poor Mr. B! My Atticus also has a lot of fears, but not of cats. I'll send Atticus to Chicago to scare off all the cats for him.

OG said...

Poor Mr. B! Petey is terrified of 2 tiny white dogs on the corner...they are very barky and aggressive...he will run into the street if he sees them.
So big hugs to Mr. B!

Pocket Pittie in the City said...

Awwww!! I love the picture of him jumping with his ears standing straight up!! Good luck, Mr. B. I understand that street cats can be intimidating. :-)

Rachel @ My Two Pitties said...

A white plastic bag..lol! To be fair to Mr. B, fluffy flat-faced kitties freak me out too.

Anonymous said...

I just love Mr. B. I want to hug him every time I see him! I hate to laugh at his expense, but this post had me cracking just imagining him jumping at the sight of a cat.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mr. B... how can I not love you even more? Those evil kittehs!

Anonymous said...

Poor Mr B! Callie LOVES cats (and it scares the bejeebus out of some of them to see a 60 pound lab mix coming at them with her tail going like a windshield wiper!) To Mr B's humans - it sounds like you have the situation under control as much as that's ever possible with a cat, but if his fear starts getting worse you may want to get in touch with a pit-friendly trainer for some advice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...