Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Halloween Costume Guide: Using Existing Dog Gear to Make Costumes for Larger Dogs

The pooches 'stay in character' while wearing costumes
I never imagined I would want to dress up my dog, but as soon as we realized that dogs in costume are that much more inviting, and it allows people to approach, start conversations, and understand how amazing pitbulls are as family pets, we've taken every opportunity to deck out our dogs. 
We are lucky that our dogs are very tolerant and comfortable wearing gear, though we know many dogs might not be comfortable in costume, or they might be too large for the standard dog costume options.
Here is one idea we had to use our existing dog gear to create an easy "Couples Costume" for larger dogs:
The pooches try out Thing 1 and Thing 2 antics

How we made Thing 1 and Thing 2 Sweatshirts:
Our pooches already had these sweatshirts (at 65 lbs they wear size XL), so we just needed to find a decal to iron on. We found a template through this great post and we used her basic process.
We bought ink jet iron-on transfer paper for dark shirts. Our decals have a bit of red showing through, but I like the ombre effect. 

Making the Wigs:
We like how the sweatshirts are a perfect costume alternative for pups who may not be comfortable wearing costumes. Though since our pups are tolerant, we decided to try wigs.
I started with a circular blue piece of felt; I used a round plastic container lid as a pattern. I sewed a loop of elastic to the felt so the felt became a type of hat on top of their head being secured by elastic under the chin. I got the idea to use a blue feather boa from this post here and I wrapped it in a spiral on top of the felt. I wasn't sure about using a glue gun, so I did my best to sew the wrapped boa on top of the felt. It's not that secure, and it does shed a lot. I also have to be careful that the feathers don't irritate the pups faces. It has been raining outside so we haven't had a chance to test it on a walk, though they have been comfortable wearing the wigs around our house.
I never thought I would be crafting costumes for my pup. 
Has anyone else been making costumes?

Also:
Keeping pups safe and comfortable in costume.

Check our Facebook page for more photos, comments, and storylines beyond the blog.


10 comments:

Regina Hart said...

What a clever and incredibly adorable costume idea! Miss M and Mr. B couldn't be any cuter! They are definitely going to be good bully ambassadors in those outfits.

OG said...

I know Miss M is a paragon of all things desirable and Mr. B transcends adorable and has such a good heart but I have to give a big shout out to A & E for their tremendous creativity! Most adorable posts and ideas this week!

Anonymous said...

Very stylish, and recognizable for children AND adults. Mr. B's face is so lovable in general, but add a costume and you've got a recipe for success.

Let us know how it goes when the weather clears and they can wear them outside!

Anonymous said...

I love using things around the house to make costumes! And, Thing 1 and Thing 2 for Miss M and Mr B is just awesome!

Rachel @ My Two Pitties said...

Awesome costumes, Thing 1 & Thing 2 are my favorite Dr. Seuss characters!

Bella Wolfe said...

And I didn't think it was possible for Miss M and Mr B to get any cuter! This is beyond adorable and so easy to recreate. Thanks for the idea.

Mayzie said...

You two look SO cute!! I don't mind getting dressed up but I'm pretty sure I'd eat that feather wig.

Wiggles & Wags,
Mayzie

Heather said...

Um, I seriously lack the words to communicate how fantastic those costumes are. Creative, well-executed, and adorable! Bravo!

sweetemaline said...

Goodness, they are just adorable! Just bought Zac & Zoey hoodies for Moby and Turk... hoping they look as cute as Ms. M and Mr. B!

Emily @ Our Waldo Bungie
www.ourwaldobungie.com

Unknown said...

Lol! Those doggles are too much! I might have to try to get some doggles too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...