Monday, July 26, 2010

Pooches: Adoption "Speed Dating"

Looking at Petfinder is just like online dating; sometimes the profile you drool over online may not be a 'love connection' when you meet in person. At the same time, you just might miss the profile of your perfect match.
This was the case for me and Miss M. I went to her adoption event to meet a different dog: a shepherd with one half of his face brown, the other half white. I remember seeing Miss M's profile and reading about how lucky her future forever family would be as she was rescued just one day before being euthanized. I was happy for that abstract future forever family but didn't even consider her a match for me. She photographed like a monster.
It wasn't until I got to the event and met the dogs that I realized Miss M, the dog I never would have considered, was my perfect match. And in an ironic twist of events, I just found out the original dog I was interested in lives just 2 blocks (in the entire city of Chicago) from our house. I was never close enough to realize it was him because he's always barking at the pooches.
This weekend was the ultimate adoption event Angels with Tails held in the West Loop. The event hosts several rescue groups from the Chicagoland area who bring out their dogs along a half-mile stretch. It was the perfect "adoption speed dating" event where interested parties were able to meet several dogs at a single time and check for potential chemistry.
Project Rescue brought out a great group of dogs, including this guy Roux. He is the male 60 pound version of Wilma:
They even have the same wrinkles on the top of their heads:
Wilma made a smashing debut, meeting all kinds of people. Many people who stopped to talk to her were intrigued that she was already full-grown despite looking like a puppy. They were impressed she was so calm and able to sit nicely despite all the other dogs, the people, and the Basset hound rescue dogs "singing" across the street. These people probably wouldn't have stopped on her profile on Petfinder, but had a different reaction meeting her in person.
We heard some people completed applications, so Wilma might be going on some home visits as the first step in finding her family. Hopefully she will find the perfect match!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope you enjoyed the basset hounds singing across the street! It's such a special sound that only a mother can love! :)

Hopefully there are some potential homes for Miss Wilma!

Lola and also Franklin, too said...

I hope Wilma's perfect furever family was among those applications. A very similar thing happened to me as with Miss M. My Moms went to the rescue I was at in Brooklyn to meet a different Shar Pei who was on Petfinder. I don't know that I was even listed there at that time. There was nothing wrong with her, but I was even more right for them and that's how I got my home. She got a home within a week, so there are no losers in that story.

wags, Lola

Anonymous said...

Mayzie's mom here. We've got everything crossed that Wilma finds her forever home soon. Wilma looks like Roux's mini-me. Too cute!

And I know exactly what you mean. If I had seen Mayzie's petfinder picture and listing before we met, I would have just passed her by without a second thought. She is not the type of dog I would've ever imagined we would own (we were seriously thinking about a Brittany for our next dog). But meeting her in person was a completely different story - love at first sight. I really think it was fate that brought me to that adoption fair that day!

Mack said...

I just know Wilma will find her perfect furrever home! She's such a sweetie!

Anonymous said...

That's such a great idea! I hope Wilma finds her furever home soon!

Mia said...

YEAH!!! So happy the adoption event went well!! We hope Wilma finds her forever home soon!! She's such a beautiful girl!!

~hugs~

Jess & Lilo

Wyatt said...

That is exciting news. I have some lucky horseshoes kickin around here, I'll go get one and fill it up with good wishes for you today Wilma!

Wyatt

koko said...

Glad to hear that the adoption drive was a success... hope Wilma will be able to find her furever home soon.

Licks, hero

Mollie Jo and Bobo said...

Ever since adopting my Mollie from a Back yard breeder....I feel that you end up adopting the dog you need not the dog you want.


Wags and Licks,
Mollie Jo & Bobo
& Lolly Pop

Kate said...

Yay! I really hope Wilma finds her forever home in one of those applications!

Kari in Alaska said...

I really hope she find her forever home!

Don't forget, we are now located at dogisgodinreverse.com

Shauna (Fido and Wino) said...

Wilma is beautiful- I think it is so awesome you are profiling her here too, I'm sure your blog really helps to show her lovely personality :)

Here's to speed/online dating :)

Anonymous said...

I hope Wilma finds her furever home soon!

houndstooth said...

That's really a great idea! I've never seen anything like that, but that's probably good, since I'd want them all!

I really hope Wilma makes her love connection soon! I'll miss seeing her, though!

Road Dog Tales said...

Anyone would be super lucky to have the beautiful Wilma in their family! Are you suuuure she hasn't already found her furever home?:) Just asking . . .
The Road Dogs

the booker man said...

my husband and i found asa on petfinder as well, and honestly, i was not drawn to her from the picture. my husband was, but i wasn't. once we went and visited her a couple times, however, i knew she was the dog for us!
i'm excited that some people filled out applications for wilma! please keep us posted on any home visits!

Monnico said...

Chicagoland Bully Breed Rescue is desperately looking for fosters so if anyone reading would like to help pups like Wilma, please check out CBBR http://www.chicagolandbullybreedrescue.org/home0.aspx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...