Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pooches: Dog Photography and Aging

Maybe it's because we now have a younger dog in the house, or maybe it's just been the heat slowing everyone down, but I've started to notice our dogs have been aging. We don't really see it on a daily basis, but looking back at the photos from when I adopted Miss M nearly 4 years ago I've noticed a loss of vibrancy in her brindle, a couple more gray hairs in her ears, and a wisening in her facial expression:
We've enjoyed taking tons of photographs of the pooches to see how they've been changing through the years, but it's rare that I can actually capture a "frame-worthy" image.
For the past 2 years we've actually been lucky enough to have amazing professional photos taken of the pooches. Jill from Jookie Photography has been generous enough to volunteer her time and skills organizing a fundraiser for Miss M's alumni group New Leash on Life. For a $75 donation, you get a professional photo shoot of your pooch. There are a limited number of spots for the Dog Days Fundraiser, but if you're in the Chicago-area we highly recommend checking out Jookie for both kid and pet photography. Mr. B even made the prime spot on the promotional mailing, with Miss M a supporting player in the background:
Jill is amazing at capturing emotion and expression, and we had a great time at our photo sessions. All our photos turned out so incredible. Here we have some already framed and hung:The photos are even packaged in boxes with cute paw-print tissue paper. Here are some that we still need to frame:And since I know not everyone is lucky enough to live in Chicago to take advantage of Jookie's talents, I also wanted to share another photography idea. When E and I eloped in San Francisco last winter we wanted to get a photographer to take some photos of us around San Francisco in wedding attire. There is so much untapped talent, and students eager to practice their skills, on Craigslist that you can find for reasonable rates. I think it would be a fun idea to do a "documentary style" photo shoot with your pooch.
Has anyone else done a dog photoshoot? What other ways do you document your pooches?

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a photo shoot with Fred but thats just because he was in a magazine but the photographer took extra pictures just for me. Ive been dying to get both dogs together for a photo shoot but I think they are still too young and rowdy to get good pictures but I hope in a year I can do a great photo shoot with them and I. I do feel bad that I have amazing photos of Fred and not any of Haylie so I have considered getting Haylie her own photo shoot for now so I can have some professional photos of her to hang.

I loved the pictures by the way!!

ps. Miss M looks fantastic :)

Nicole said...

That's so cute! I've never has professional pics done of my pup. I don't think he'd sit still long enough! ;)

Mack said...

Miss M is famous! Can I have her pawtograph??
Long before I was born, mom and dad and their niece (My cuzzin, Katie) all posed for Christmas pics with their dogs. Since they have me now, they really need to do it again.
Sugars,
Mack

houndstooth said...

There used to be a big Greyhound event up in Michigan that we went to, and we had our first four Greyhounds pictures taken professionally there, and at another event on the East coast. I absolutely love the pictures! We still need to get some taken of Bunny and now Morgan, too. My husband is a pretty good photographer and he's taken some really good ones, too.

I've also been blessed to have portaits painted of two of our girls. We hope to eventually have one of each of them. Billie Mann did ours and her paintings are amazing!

brooke said...

those are such cute pictures!
we know a Dane owner whos a photographer and we've tried to get a photoshoot together, but things always fell through. Maybe one day though!

Shauna (Fido and Wino) said...

Great photos! I haven't had a pro session with our pooches- I just take a gazillion pics of them for the blog :)

The Daily Pip said...

Great photos! Yeah, the aging thing is weird and sad, but I guess it happens to all of us!

Jookie does a fundraiser for my sister's school each year. She is very good! I didn't know she was also interested in animals.

Red Door Animal Shelter (the organization that rescued me) has quarterly Spa Days with different photography themes. This is where I had my Pipzilla photographs taken! Unfortunately, they focus mostly on rabbits and cats and me (because I am little).

Your pal, Pip

Martine said...

Those are fantastic photos! I love the one of the two together, so cute.

We haven't taken professional photos of the kiddlets yet... I did do photos of my parents cats. It was a fun experience.

Kate said...

I've never had a pro come take photos for us, but I think it's a great idea. I love the craigslist suggestion too. Those photos from your shoot are great - definitely hang them! :)

Sue said...

Those are wonderful photos. I would live to find someone around here who could get some good group shots.

Rescued Pittie Family said...

I LOVE that last picture of the two of them! So precious!

Two French Bulldogs said...

What a great idea. Love the pictures..its called aging gracefully by the way
Benny & Lily

Kari in Alaska said...

that pic of them both laying down is an amazing capture

Marlyn said...

As luck would have it, I am a photographer, so needless to say, we have a ton of photos of our animals. It's definitely a lot of fun & so worth it. I'm glad you guys have some awesome pics of your dogs! The photos are great!

Dexter said...

Oh it is nice to get the professional photos, huh. Yeah, sometimes momma looks at old pictures of me with no grey furs and it makes her a little sad, but I am in great shape, so no worries there.

You both look stunning in your portraits.

Slobbers,
Mango

little princess Luna~ said...

awwwww such lovable photos of ms. m and mr. b~!!
mum hasn't gotten proffesional pictures of me because she thinks she can do it herself(she's a newbie to the photography world) and she likes to practice w/ me. aside from taking pictures of my every move, she likes to take videos of me doing silly things. :)

xo,
luna

pibble said...

Those are fabulous photos of the kids! They look like "professional" dog models. Of course, they are beautiful, so it's not surprising that the pics are gorgeous.

Daisy Dog said...

I would love to have a photoshoot with my dogs and cats if I could corral them all together! But never have set one up. I take photos and put them up on the blog, and more often than not my dogwalker who comes 3 days a week while I am at work sends me pix via my phone after she walks the dogs. I love getting that on the days I have long hours. It always makes me smile to see them unexpectedly during the day :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...