Thursday, April 25, 2013

DoggyStyle: The 'Not Fun' Side of Dog Organization

Sometimes it can be a struggle to keep my own stuff in order, let alone managing things for the pups. We're always so busy thinking about the fun side of dog gear, that sometimes it takes things like this to remember the not so fun things we need.
Here are some things we've learned about keeping dog paperwork, medicine and daily safety essentials in order:

Dog Paperwork
Mr. B takes baths more than he does paperwork
I remember signing up for a training class and being asked to supply proof of spay neuter (from the rescue group), current vaccinations (from the vet), rabies (from a different vet), proof of prior training classes (certificates) and scrambling to find all these different documents and make copies.
So we made it electronic.
We just scan all of our documents and keep everything online. It's much easier to be able to email the documents, print everything out from one electronic file, and keep it with us at all times via our iphones.

First Aid Gear
Ever since this happened, we became painfully aware of how we need to stock up our dog first aid supplies. We now have an entire drawer devoted to hemostatic bandages (to stop bleeding), gauze, antiseptic spray, Neosporin, Benadryl, and Gas-X.
We have also realized that not all cones are made alike and we keep 3 different types of cones so we're ready for whatever type of wound they might need to be protected from. We wrote more about it, here.

City Dog Walking Essentials 
With so much going on in the city, I find I need supplies even for a short jaunt outside. We have gotten things down to a science where we keep supplies in separate bags for our separate types of walks: an Everyday Short-Walk bag, a Family Walk/ Festival bag, and an Overnight/Weekend bag.
We wrote more about it, here.

I know we're still missing a lot.
I'm curious to hear how everyone else organizes their essentials. And especially, what do you keep in your dog first-aid kit? 

Also:
Fun Dog Organization!
Who knew car safety could be so hilarious?

9 comments:

Hannah@Eriesistibull said...

Our dogs have binders -- we keep their whole lives in there. It's nice to have a quick reference for everything. Tess is quickly outgrowing her binder, but we have alot of "extras" in there - notes from the dog walker, articles we've found helpful, all her therapy dog documents...we'll probably need to start a separate binder soon.

I also made copies of their rabies certificate, vaccination records, and microchip certificate and have in their travel bag.

I love the idea of having electronically so you can always have it with you -- I might need to look into this!

As for first aid, I have to admit that we don't really have one. I have been thinking for months that I really need to get something put together for them. I read a good article on Pretty Fluffy (http://prettyfluffy.com/2012/01/diy-doggie-at-home-medical-ki/) that has a list of starters and other good "not-fun" organizing tips!

I also have been wanting to create a disaster kit for our family (not that we get alot in Erie, but there's always the chance of a blizzard!) with food, medication, toys, etc.

cliona said...

For the first aid box, hydrogen peroxide measured out in individual syringes per dog weight for each dog, if something happens you don't need to worry about calculations (5cc/10lbs), the number for poison control,
Soft muzzles for the dogs, just in case

Anonymous said...

We have two drawers set aside for meds and things the dogs need for bathing. I keep all the hard copies of paperwork but just realized if someone were to ask for a spay/neuter certificate I don't have one for either dog! I love doing everything electronically, I'm going to look into it now!

j-schrec said...

I really need to do some document scanning of all of our paperwork so I can email it easily. We also have two dogs, and one of them has had an extensive amount of heart-related medical procedures in his short little lifetime, so I have 5 or 6 different folders full of heart monitor reports and ECG results. He's doing great now, so we don't necessarily need the records all that often, but I like the electronic record idea quite a bit!

Maggie said...

I have my vet send all documents/lab results electronically. Most are doing that already. (That said, I also have a huge expandable folder of hard copies).

I've also heard about Petly, which is an online service. Has anyone tried it?

Lastly, I want to recommend First Aid classes where they teach you to put together an Emergency kit.

Chicago's Anti-Cruelty on Grand has a First Aid course, and it's always good to take it, even as a refresher.

SherBear said...

Nala has an entire cabinet devoted to her "stuff". Fortunately she lives to please me so she never tries to open it herself - even though it would be super easy for her to do so. There is a big mix of fun stuff like rawhides, tug toys (she destroys them if they are left out, and doggie water bottles, as well as her ear & teeth cleaners and the comfort cone. First aid wise I keep her stuff intermixed with mine as many items can be used for me and her (I always apply Neosporin with a clean Q-Tip so it can be used for humans or doggies).

Paperwork wise I have cute filing bins and she has her own section with corresponding folders. Every vet invoice shows her vaccination dates at the top so anytime I need to show them I just grab the most recent bill.

Two French Bulldogs said...

We have all our papers in a file and all our stuff in a box. We love the idea of keeping the forms online
Benny & Lily

ReganWoodPhotography said...

Whoa, you are all super organized! Stewart has a drawer with all his goodies, meds, antibiotic ointments, anti-itch spray, cone and more. The only thing I've additional are his things for travel. I fly with him a lot in the cabin, so in his carrier I have a collapsible water bowl and poop bags.

luodidigood said...

We have two drawers set aside for meds and things the dogs need for bathing. I keep all the hard copies of paperwork but just realized if someone were to ask for a spay/neuter certificate I don't have one for either dog! I love doing everything electronically, I'm going to look into it now!cheap jersey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...